The Madison Southern Eagles (9-2) overcame a slow start Saturday to storm back and beat Boyle County 4-3 in a shootout in the championship game of the Berea Cup.

Tanner Kidwell pushed a shot past Boyle County (9-4) keeper Connor Burns on the final penalty kick of the round to give the Eagles the come-from-behind win.

Things couldn’t have started much worse for the Eagles as the Rebels got a pair of goals in less than a minute to grab a 2-0 lead in the game’s first ten minutes.

But after a few defensive adjustments by Coach James Ray, Southern regained its composure and began to fight back.

Junior Tanner Kidwell got the first of his two goals on the night on of a beautiful cross by Daylin Taylor to cut the deficit to 2-1 just before half-time.

Boyle County extended its lead to 3-1 ten minutes into the second half, but the Eagles refused to go down without a fight.

Kidwell once again cut the deficit to one with a goal with 23:01 remaining in regulation.

It stayed that way until inside the final two minutes when Taylor got Southern even at 3-3 with a great shot off a corner kick with to send it into penalty kicks.

In the shootout, Southern got goals from Dawson Hellard, Maguire Jennings and Taylor and Boyle got goals from Riley Cocanaugher, James Warinner and Josh Robbins to set up Kidwell’s last chance heroics.

“On the first goal we had a misread and on the second one we dove a little and they scored on us. But once we settled down we played much better,” Southern coach James Ray said. “We really played hard and played together today and never gave up and refused to lose. That’s all you can ask as a coach is to go out and play hard. I’m happy with the way we played today.”

The Eagles had wins over Estill County, Franklin County and Berea to advance to the title game.

Boyle County advanced with wins over Somerset, Conner and Lincoln County.

Madison Southern returns to action on Tuesday against Corbin in Berea.

React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you