Death Investigation

A local man has been arrested for manslaughter after he allegedly supplied drugs to a man who was later found deceased in Richmond.

Nathaniel Quan Taylor, 26, Richmond, was arrested by Richmond Police Department on Tuesday and charged with second-degree manslaughter.

Taylor was also charged with leaving the scene of accident and failure to render aid or assistance and second-degree fleeing or evading police from another incident which occurred on Tuesday.

On June 28, a body was found near Jason Drive.

According to a previous Register article, several workers discovered the body, which according to the coroner, appeared to be severely decomposed and had likely been outside in the elements for several days.

On June 30, the body was later identified by Madison County Coroner Jimmy Cornelison to be Shannon Keith, 49, of Nicholasville.

According to a citation, the Criminal Investigations Division was contacted, and the officer who responded found drug paraphernalia near Keith's body, which the officer believed indicated the victim may have used drugs shortly before his passing.

While investigating Keith's death, the officer was able to interview Taylor about a drug transaction he had with Keith before his death, after Taylor was arrested for another incident.

According to investigators, Taylor admitted to having drugs and agreed to meet with Keith to sell them to him.

A citation states, the officer located video surveillance of Keith and Taylor meeting at a convenience store near Keith's residence shortly before his suspected time of death.

According to police, surveillance cameras show both men leaving in the car Taylor drove to the store.

Shortly after meeting with Taylor, all outgoing communications from Keith stopped, which the officer suspected was around the time of his death.

According to the citation, the medical examiner's office in Frankfort conducted an autopsy and found no evidence of trauma or struggle. The Madison County Coroner's Office listed Keith's cause of death as an overdose.

According to a citation, Taylor allegedly denied trafficking any substance to the victim. That story allegedly contradicted with the video surveillance the officer found of the two men.

Taylor then admitted Keith had asked about purchasing methamphetamine, but told the officer he did not provide any.

Taylor's was initially arrested after he allegedly fled the scene of an accident on Tuesday morning.

According to a citation of the incident, an officer responded to Lexington Road at 8 a.m. on July 13 in reference to an injury collision involving a black Nissan and a black Chevrolet Cruze.

Witnesses stated two men and a woman woman exited a vehicle after the crash.

While the officer was on scene with EMS and the fire department, the woman, later identified to be Kiersten Hurst, 25, Richmond, allegedly walked to a business nearby and was acting frantic.

According to another citation, Hurst was arrested by Richmond Police Department on Tuesday and charged with leaving the scene of an accident and failure to render aid or assistance, first-degree possession of a controlled substance (heroin/first offense), possession of marijuana, and failure to produce an insurance card.

When the officer found Hurst at the nearby business, she told the officer she in the rear passenger seat of her boyfriend's car when the collision occurred and Taylor was the driver.

A citation states, Hurst allowed the officer to search her vehicle, which the officer believed smelled like marijuana. During the search, the officer found a small dime bag of a tan powdery substance, which the officer believed to be heroin or fentanyl, and a bag which contained a few grams of marijuana.

Hurst told the officer she ran because some people had showed up to the scene of the collision and were using their phones.

Hurst was charged and lodged in the Madison County Detention Center.

At 11:15 a.m. the same day, two officers conducted a traffic stop on a Pontiac G6 on Big Hill Avenue where Taylor was a passenger. The citation states, the officers were aware Taylor was wanted in connection to other cases.

When officers asked Taylor to leave the vehicle to detain him, Taylor allegedly fled from officers on foot and disobeyed commands to stop while the officers pursued him. Taylor allegedly jumped over a fence and ran through a wood line.

The citation states, one officer fell during the pursuit and sustained a small cut to his right hand and a small burn on his right arm. The officer believed Taylor's actions were the cause of their injuries.

After detaining Taylor, the officer investigating the death of Keith spoke with Taylor.

A citation states, he waived his Miranda Warning and consented to an interview with the officer where the details surrounding Keith's death were revealed.

Taylor was a member of the 2013 Madison Central Basketball state title team.

He was charged and detained in the Madison County Detention Center.

React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you