A grand jury indicted a couple on Oct. 22 on three counts of first-degree criminal abuse (child younger than 12) and one count of first-degree criminal abuse (physically helpless victim) after officers arrested them in October.
Richmond police were originally called to the couple's home on Keri Ann Drive for a welfare check, according to a previous Register article.
When officers arrived, they spoke with Amber Isaacs, 32, who allowed officers to enter the home and check the living conditions, according to a citation. Upon entry, "a strong odor was present from the large amount of trash and old food thrown throughout the entire living room and kitchen area," the citation reads.
"There was a small infant on the floor of the living room in a car seat … in close proximity to a pressure sprayer filled with bleach, which (Amber Isaacs) stated they use to spray the floors of the home with," the citation continues.
As officers went through the home, they couldn't find an inch of the floor in the entire home that wasn't covered with trash. "There (was) a large amount of flies present inside the home as well from all the old food and dirty diapers laying in the open or in garbage bags."
The children's rooms either had old, dirty beds or no beds, the citation states. Two children, who didn't have rooms, said they slept in the living room among piles of garbage on old sofas and chairs.
The bathrooms in the home had old waste in the toilets, the citation states.
Amber Isaacs and her husband, Daniel Isaacs, 34, kept telling police the home had only been out of control for a day or two, according to the citation.
• • •
The following were also indicted by the grand jury on Oct. 22:
• Nigel Miller, 34, Nicholasville, first-degree wanton endangerment and third-degree criminal mischief.
• Ronnie Agee, 32, Pleasure Lane, Richmond, controlled substance trafficking (heroin, enhanced with possession of a firearm), controlled substance trafficking (fentanyl, enhanced with possession of a firearm), possession of a handgun by a convicted felon, tampering with physical evidence and two counts of controlled substance trafficking (fentanyl).
• Joshua Spurlock, 22, Brodhead, second-degree burglary.
• Johnny Dargavell, 50, Hager Drive, Richmond, assault of a family member or member of an unmarried couple and first-degree persistent felony offender.
• Eduardo Zamora, 50, South Porter Drive, Richmond, failure to comply with sex offender registration.
• Denise Conner, 53, Laurel Street, Richmond, possession of a handgun by a convicted felon, first-degree possession of a controlled substance, third-degree controlled substance possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, marijuana possession and public intoxication.
• William Mullins, 53, South Third Street, Richmond, first-degree controlled substance possession and possession of drug paraphernalia.
• Adam King, age and address unknown, making false statements to obtain unemployment insurance benefits.
• Billy Brinegar, age and address unknown, first-degree bail jumping.
• Leanna Campbell, 34, Davenport Drive, Richmond, first-degree bail jumping.
An indictment does not indicate guilt, only that grand jurors believe the state has enough evidence to proceed with prosecution.