A Madison County grand jury will decide if a Lexington man should be indicted on charges that he burglarized a Richmond home and then led police on a high-speed chase through two counties.

During a preliminary hearing Wednesday for Gary L. Wallace, 48, Richmond Police Senior Patrolman Mark Wiles testified that he got involved in the incident on March 24 after learning Wallace was a suspect in a burglary.

“The victim’s father supposedly had followed him onto the Interstate,” Wiles said.

About 11 a.m., Wallace allegedly entered a Duncannon Lane residence. A nearby neighbor noticed Wallace and called the homeowner, who was at work. The homeowner’s father, who lives in the area, also was called and got to the home in time to see Wallace leaving, RPD Sgt. Willard Reardon said previously.

Wiles testified that Wallace took costume jewelry, a large glass jar with about $500 worth of loose change and a gun. Another police officer worked the burglary case, so Wiles did not have extensive details about the alleged crime, but did say he knew there was major damage to the back door of the residence.

When 911 dispatchers contacted Wiles, he said he was told the homeowner’s father was following Wallace and the two had just drove onto Interstate 75.

“I got behind him (Wallace) at about the 93-mile marker,” Wiles testified. “My lights and siren were activated.”

Madison County Attorney Marc Robbins asked Wiles if he thought Wallace attempted to evade capture and Wiles said yes.

“He sped up and took off,” he said. “He was driving extremely erratically.”

In fairly heavy traffic, Wiles testified that Wallace swerved back and forth across all three lanes, sometimes driving in the emergency lane to pass traffic. Between the 95- and 97-mile markers, Wiles said a Madison County Sheriff’s deputy and Kentucky State Police trooper also joined in the pursuit, which was proceeding north into Fayette County.

“He exited at the 104 (Interstate exit) and Wallace I think was going about 110 miles per hour by my calibrated speedometer unit,” Wiles testified.

Lexington Metro Police Department also joined in the pursuit after it entered Lexington and the law enforcement units followed Wallace to East Loudon Avenue, where Wallace eventually wrecked.

“When he exited the vehicle, he was wearing a brown bomber jacket that he threw off,” Wiles said. “We found the costume jewelry in the pockets.”

The change jar was located in the back seat of Wallace’s car and some of it had spilled out into the floor. The gun alleged to have been stolen was not found.

After being questioned at the Richmond Police Department by detectives, Wallace was charged with first-degree burglary, first-degree fleeing and evading and wanton endangerment. Madison District Judge Brandy Oliver Brown found probable cause to refer the case to the grand jury. Wallace’s $50,000 bond was not lowered.

Kelly Foreman can be reached at kforeman@richmondregister.com or 624-6694.

React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you