Many associate the Christmas holiday with being at home with family, but Richmond and Berea are offering a variety of Christmas Eve events that will gather people in celebration.
The following local churches are having Christmas Eve services:
• First Christian Church, 87th annual Christmas Eve Pageant, 5:30 p.m., 412 W. Main St., 623-4383
• First Christian Church, Berea, Christmas Eve service at 7 p.m., 204 Chestnut St., 986-4553
• First Presbyterian Church, 7 p.m., service of readings, carols and lessons, 330 W. Main St., 623-5323
• Saint Thomas Lutheran Church, Christmas Eve candlelight service with Holy Communion, 7 p.m., 1285 Barnes Mill Road, 623-7254
• Unity Baptist Church, service and silent communion, 5:30 p.m., 1290 Barnes Mill Road, 624-9464
• Crossroads Christian Church, meets at Caudill Middle School, 1428 Martin Bypass, Christmas Eve services at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., featuring Santa, cookies and crafts between services
• The Episcopal Church of Our Savior Madison County, Christmas Eve service at 9 p.m., music beginning at 8:30 p.m., on Christmas Day at 10 a.m., Feast of our Lord’s Nativity, Sunday, Dec. 30, Christmas lessons and carols, 2323 Lexington Road, 623-1226
• First United Methodist Church, 401 W. Main St., Christmas Eve services, candlelight family service 5 p.m., communion/candlelight service 11 p.m. 623-3580
• First Baptist Church Richmond, 425 Eastern Bypass, Christmas Eve candlelight service 5 to 6 p.m.
• White Hall Baptist Church will present “The Greatest Gift,” a live, outdoor drama of the first Christmas, at 7:30 p.m., 8 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
• Union Church, 213 Prospect Street, Berea, Christmas Eve services at 5:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Because of the church’s renovation process, the customary reception after the 5:30 p.m. service will not be conducted.
Community members will be treated to a free Christmas meal Monday from 1 to 4 p.m. at First Baptist Church of Richmond, 425 Eastern Bypass behind Qdoba.
Ronica Shannon can be reached at email@example.com or 624-6608.