A Laurel County man facing charges in the Jan. 29 murder and robbery of Margaret Faye Jackson, 56, of Big Hill, remains in the Madison County Detention Center after a hearing Wednesday at which his attorney sought a reduction in his $250,000 cash bond.

Bond for Doug Hall, 28, of London, was set at $250,000 when he was arraigned earlier on charges of complicity to commit murder, criminal attempt to commit murder and first-degree robbery.

During what was scheduled to be a preliminary hearing Wednesday in Madison District Court, Hall’s attorney, Earl Ray Neal, asked that Hall’s preliminary hearing be postponed until June 7 when his co-defendant Tony Hodge, 25, also of London, is to have a preliminary hearing. He also petitioned for a bond reduction based on Hall’s record of no previous violent offenses.

Hall and Hodge are charged in connection with the murder and robbery of Jackson and an attack on her companion Mitchell Turner, 37. Jackson and Turner were shot and stabbed multiple times during a robbery at Jackson’s McKee Road home in late January. Turner, who police said was left for dead, survived his injuries.

Madison District Judge Brandy Oliver Brown agreed to postpone the preliminary hearing, but took the bond reduction request “under advisement.”

Laurel County Sheriff’s Detective Johnny Phelps earlier said Hall originally was taken into custody May 10. He reportedly stole a utility trailer and led police on a short chase when they tried to stop his vehicle. Hall’s passenger, said to be Jeremy Madden, also of Laurel County, bailed out of the truck and escaped on foot.

Phelps said he had been consulting with Kentucky State Police Detective Chris Short of Richmond Post 7 about the murder case for some time and was immediately alerted to Hall’s arrest.

“Several weeks ago, (Short) had gotten some sketches of the perpetrators, the first names of a couple of guys and some information on them,” Phelps said, noting Short contacted him to help “match the names up with some suspects.”

“When he was arrested, Hall’s name pops up, and I knew his was one of the names Detective Short had given me,” Phelps said after Hall was arrested.

Detectives questioned Hall about the May 8 theft of a waverunner — which has since been recovered in Maryville, Tenn. — then segued into the murder case.

Phelps said Hall confessed to both crimes.

Hodge also was implicated during questioning, and his was also one of the names turned up in Short’s investigation, Phelps said. Police reports indicate he confessed to the murder, assault and robbery as well.

Hodge was arrested May 11.

Bill Robinson can be reached at brobinson@richmondregister.com or at 623-1669, Ext. 267.

React to this story:


Trending Video