A man who testified in a February trial about the attack that killed his girlfriend and left him with scars is now facing his own legal trouble.

Mitchell R. Turner, 40, is charged with four counts of first-degree wanton endangerment and one charge of first-degree criminal mischief for allegedly shooting at a car stopped in the road outside his Floyds Branch Road home near Berea.

Turner survived an attack in January 2006 that left him with gunshot and knife wounds and killed his girlfriend, Margaret Faye Jackson.

He testified in the trial of one of the two men accused in the attack, Douglas Hall of London, and showed the jury where bullet fragments still are lodged in his body and the scars that were left behind from the knife attack.

Hall was convicted of first-degree assault, second-degree manslaughter, first-degree robbery and first-degree burglary and was sentenced to 45 years in prison.

The other attacker, Tony Hodge, pleaded guilty to murder for Jackson’s death and attempted murder for the attack on Turner and is serving a life sentence.

Turner is accused of being involved in a Sept. 19 altercation at his home with the son of his girlfriend, court records state.

The boy fled the home following the altercation, and Turner later saw a car stopped in the road outside his home and retrieved a shotgun from the home, the arrest citation states.

Turner allegedly fired two or three shots at the vehicle, shattering the rear window, damaging a passenger window and causing paint damage.

The occupants of the car, two adults and two small children, were not injured in the shooting. One of the children, a 3-year-old, was sitting next to the windows that were damaged.

Turner allegedly hid from police for more than 90 minutes following the shooting, and attempted to hide the shotgun while hiding from police, the citation states. He was eventually found by his father and taken into custody.

Kentucky State Police recorded a statement from Turner after he was advised of his Miranda rights, the citation states.

Turner is free on a $5,000 cash bond. A preliminary hearing in the case is scheduled for Oct. 14. He is represented by Richmond attorney Mike Eubanks.

Brian Smith may be reached at bsmith@richmondregister.com or at 624-6694.

React to this story:


Recommended for you