Two Berean artisans are without a workspace after a fire completely destroyed their woodworking shop on Thursday.
According to Brent Billings, public information officer for the Berea Fire Department, firefighters received a call about a possible barn on fire on East Haiti Road around 1:30 p.m. on Thursday.
When the fire department arrived, they found a large woodworking shop in flames.
Billings said no one was injured in the fire, however, the structure was a total loss.
Due to the woodworking building's contents, Billings said, the fire burned rapidly and put off a lot of smoke, which could be seen from miles away.
The large amount of smoke and the location of the building directly behind the Berea Walmart, led some people to believe the fire was a part of Walmart.
However, Billings confirmed the structure was private property.
According to fire officials, the fire was likely started by sparks put off from machinery inside the woodshop.
The structure was the workspace of local artists and woodturners Steve Farmer of Bittersweet Woodworking and Bob Bagley. Both artists have had their work featured at the Kentucky Artisan Center in Berea.
The fire department were able to extinguish the blaze and had the scene cleared by 5:30 pm on Thursday.