At a special called meeting for the Madison County Board of Education on Thursday, the board approved the purchase of 37.12 acres and the adjacent 25-foot strip of land located on Goggins Lane in Richmond for the sum of $1.7 million and authorized the board share to execute all documents, ag…
In his daily update on Monday, President Lyle Roelofs announced Berea College will increase its minimum wage from $14 per hour for all benefits-eligible, non-temporary employees starting August 16.
FRANKFORT (AP) — Two members of Kentucky State University's governing board resigned days before the abrupt departure of the campus president, adding to the upheaval in the highest ranks of the school as it faces an independent investigation into its finances.
For centuries, poetry has been a way of expressing oneself through the written word. With stanzas and verses, a poet can express even the most inexplicable of emotions.
Mitigating possible losses from learning during COVID-19 was at the forefront of discussion during the Madison County Board of Education meeting on Thursday.
(FRANKFORT, KY) – Donnie Piercey’s life has been so consumed with helping his students survive COVID-era learning he has had little time to focus on much else, according to a news release.
This week Kentucky River Foothills Development Council, Inc. and Eastern Kentucky University celebrated the honorary naming of the Eastern Scholar House.
College is intended to be a safe place for students, but that might not always be possible for students who are changing their gender identity.
At the return of their first in-person meeting since the pandemic, the Eastern Kentucky University Board of Regents passed a 2% tuition increase for the 2021-22 academic year on Thursday.
During the specially held meeting of the Madison County Board of Education on Friday, the board approved a bid for a construction company to begin work on Clark-Moores Middle School’s renovation project.
Deep in the Daniel Boone National Forest, Mary White, the district archeologist for the forest service, used a small brush to sweep away newly discovered petroglyphs, which are pre-historic carvings.
Berea Independent Schools is “airing on the side of caution” when it comes to the use of masks in the upcoming in-person school year.
In the upcoming school year, The Pinnacle Academy of Berea, the official name for the career pathways program at Berea Community High School, will “hit the ground running,” according to superintendent Diane Hatchett.
VERSAILLES (AP) — The Kentucky Community and Technical College System's Board of Regents voted Friday to keep tuition flat for the coming year.
Every Madison County Schools employee will be receiving at least a $1 pay raise to their hourly wage, the school board approved Thursday.
Madison County Schools partnered with McCay’s Total Care Pharmacy to provide the county another opportunity to get their COVID-19 vaccination. In total, 129 citizens took advantage of the opportunity.
FRANKFORT (AP) — Kentucky's new law allowing scholarship tax credits to support private school tuition drew a court challenge Monday from an education group, which argues that the program is unconstitutional and undermines support for public schools.
Model Laboratory School announced Dr. Christopher Budano has been named Interim Secondary Principal. He is currently the Director of Teaching and Learning at Model and will begin the new role on July 1, 2021, according to a press release.
A trailer filled with fluffy farm animals pulled into the bus lane at Kingston Elementary in Berea Friday morning.
Madison County Schools is partnering with McCay’s Total Care Pharmacy to provide the county another opportunity to get their COVID-19 vaccination.
FRANKFORT (AP) — A state commission has recommended funding for projects in several Kentucky school districts as part of a $127 million school construction plan, Gov. Andy Beshear said.
During the Thursday Madison County Board of Education meeting, the board evaluated superintendent David Gilliam on his third year as superintendent of the district.
For some students, 2021 marked the return to in-person learning, but for others, their entire year of education continued virtually.
The sun shined down on a sea of decorated caps Friday, illuminating hundreds of happy faces, as Eastern Kentucky University students participated in the university's first in-person commencement ceremony since the COVID-19 pandemic began.
Even more children at White Hall Elementary will be able to take part in learning about gardening thanks to a donation from Sustainable Berea.
The special called Eastern Kentucky University Board of Regents meeting kicked off Monday with new beginnings -- starting with the swearing-in of new regent Mike Eaves by Judge Jennings.
BEREA — Administrators at Berea College have announced that in-person instruction, student labor, and other educational activities will resume on campus during the upcoming fall term.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration is expanding a program to feed as many as 34 million schoolchildren during the summer months, using funds from the coronavirus relief package approved in March.
Senate Bill 128, also known as the Supplemental School Year Program or the redo bill, gives Kentucky school districts the chance to give their students a ‘redo button.’
About this time last year, Madison County Schools and Berea Independent Schools were trying to figure out how to wrap up a school year without actually being in school.
FRANKFORT (AP) — Republican lawmakers advanced legislation Thursday to make it easier for Kentucky students to cross district lines and potentially tap into funding pools to help pay school expenses, a measure critics say could threaten the viability of some school districts.
Since it opened in 2017, Eastern Kentucky University's Scholar House has held a big year-end celebration for the pre-kindergarten students in its Head Start program.
A steady line of cars filed through the parking lot of Berea Community School Thursday evening.
Schools all across Madison County have welcomed their students back onto their campuses in recent weeks — but not for classes.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The Kentucky Department of Education is asking school districts to be flexible as they plan calendars for the next school year.
As part of the celebration of Teacher Appreciation Week (May 4-8), the staff at Model Laboratory wanted to do something special for the families of their students.
BEREA -- Many schools across Madison County have held teachers parades since the COVID-19 outbreak -- where the teachers and staff drive through the neighbors of students.
There are no new cases of the coronavirus for Madison County as of Tuesday afternoon, according to the local health department.
More than anything, local school leaders are most upset about how their schools won't be ending in a traditional fashion following Gov. Andy Beshear's recommendation Monday that schools remain closed for the rest of the academic year.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The University of Kentucky announced plans Tuesday to lay off and furlough some employees in response to a projected $70 million budget shortfall in the coming year caused by the coronavirus.
Morehead State University Theatre students have come together to present its latest production in an unconventional way after the university canceled all public performance by the School of Creative Arts.
In recent weeks, schools across Madison County have been conducting teacher parades, where staff and facility drive around in a festive procession and visit their students in their neighborhoods -- from a safe distance.
Interim President David McFaddin announced the plan to refund 33% of housing costs and 33% of dining plan costs in an email sent to students on March 9.
- Lawsuit challenges key part of new Kentucky education law
- EDUCATION NOTEBOOK: Model Laboratory School names Dr. Christopher Budano interim secondary principal
- A llama and a chicken walk into a school: Kingston Elementary students learn about farm animals
- Madison County Schools partner with local pharmacy to bring vaccine clinic to Madison County
- Commission recommends funding for school district projects
- Madison County Board of Education goes over budget, evaluate Gilliam as superintendent
- Madison Central hosts their first ever outdoor graduation for the class of 2021
- Writing their own stories
- Berea Community School graduation
- Making history; Madison County School's first completely virtual students graduate
- Madison County Schools students granted option to "redo" pandemic year
- EKU holds first in-person commencement since pandemic
- Madison County offers incentives to curb bus driver shortage
- White Hall receives raised garden bed for students with special needs
- EKU Board of Regents welcomes new member, discusses first in-person commencements
- Bundy, Spock named 2021 EKU Foundation Professors
- Berea College announces vaccination policy for students returning to campus next fall
- Biden expanding summer food program for 34M schoolchildren
- $23 million in state funds will improve roads near schools
- Senate Bill 128 leaves decision up to districts on whether or not students can repeat their last academic year
- To redo or not to redo
- Final renovation plans approved for Clark-Moores
- Perseverance pays off: Madison Southern color guard to compete in international competition
- Madison Southern to hold their Spring Concert in-person
- Graduation dates set for Madison County seniors
- A long and windy road: Madison County Schools look back on 2020
- Madison County Schools prepare for 2021 in-person graduation
- House panel OKs bill to allow education opportunity accounts
- House Bill 149 aims to bring Education Opportunity Accounts to Kentucky
- Kentucky Senate backs bill requiring schools to reopen
- Date set for return to in-person learning for local high school students
- House OKs bill to let felony offenders tap into KEES money
- Bill has late March deadline for in-person classes to resume
- Board of Ed approves design and development for Clark-Moores Middle School renovation project
- Returning to in-person learning
- 'Enjoy the snow'
- 'Power Outage Days'
- 'The year's not lost': MKA shares experience with using education app
- Berea Independent student's illustrations featured in a published book
- Madison County Schools district students return to in-person learning
- Madison County Board of Education approves purchase of land for $1.7 million
- UPDATE: Electric restored in Berea
- Madison County approves Moberly Road zone change
- Richmond man charged with rape of a minor
- Kentucky Fish and Wildlife provides update about bird illness investigation
- Richmond man charged with manslaughter after dead body found
- Richmond could approve zone change for more housing
- Colleen Chaney selected as EKU’s Chief of Staff and Chief Communications Officer
- 'Not going away': Coroner updates court on increasing overdose numbers
- Woman allegedly drunk driving while infant was left alone in apartment