The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round.
Even more children at White Hall Elementary will be able to take part in learning about gardening thanks to a donation from Sustainable Berea.
The special called Eastern Kentucky University Board of Regents meeting kicked off Monday with new beginnings -- starting with the swearing-in of new regent Mike Eaves by Judge Jennings.
BEREA — Administrators at Berea College have announced that in-person instruction, student labor, and other educational activities will resume on campus during the upcoming fall term.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration is expanding a program to feed as many as 34 million schoolchildren during the summer months, using funds from the coronavirus relief package approved in March.
Senate Bill 128, also known as the Supplemental School Year Program or the redo bill, gives Kentucky school districts the chance to give their students a ‘redo button.’
About this time last year, Madison County Schools and Berea Independent Schools were trying to figure out how to wrap up a school year without actually being in school.
FRANKFORT (AP) — Republican lawmakers advanced legislation Thursday to make it easier for Kentucky students to cross district lines and potentially tap into funding pools to help pay school expenses, a measure critics say could threaten the viability of some school districts.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The Kentucky Senate voted Wednesday to require schools to reopen in-person instruction by late March, leaving the bill potentially one step away from being sent to the governor.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — A bill allowing felony offenders to tap into scholarship money they earned to pursue post-secondary education degrees cleared the Kentucky House on Wednesday.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The Kentucky House weighed in on the issue of getting children back in class amid the coronavirus pandemic, passing a bill Wednesday requiring schools to reopen in-person instruction by late March.
At the Feb. 23 Madison County Board of Education special called meeting, the board went over renovations to Clark-Moores Middle School.
At the February Madison County Board of Education (MCBOE) meeting, Jennifer Martin, the principal at Madison Kindergarten Academy (MKA), shared what her school is doing to help keep students engaged after the return to in-person learning.
FRANKFORT (AP) — The Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education is urging education leaders to take action to combat declining college enrollment in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.
When children and families face issues such as poverty, family reconstruction, domestic and youth violence, and more, they may not know where to turn.
After receiving her coronavirus vaccine on Thursday, Silver Creek Elementary School Principal Amanda Heaton wrote "Our #BobcatNation has missed our students!" as her reason for getting the vaccine.
FRANKFORT (AP) — The Kentucky House passed a bill Thursday to change retirement benefits for new teachers hired starting next year as Republican lawmakers confronted the politically volatile pension issue.
LOUISVILLE (AP) — A group of Kentucky parents are suing several public school districts, seeking to put an end to online learning and return students to classrooms in-person, nearly one year after the coronavirus pandemic forced schools to pivot to virtual or hybrid models.
FRANKFORT – Education groups in Kentucky are launching an information campaign this month calling on students to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, known as the FAFSA form. Filling out the form is a crucial step to receive need-based aid that you don’t pay back and other fi…
As Madison County Schools staff prepare to receive the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the district are making plans to return to in-person learning.
Madison County schools announced plans this week to vaccinate staff members, as the districts take the next steps to bring thousands of teachers and students back into classrooms.
Eastern Kentucky University nursing students are volunteering to help Madison County and surrounding communities administer COVID-19 vaccines.
In a Facebook post Tuesday morning, Madison County Schools announced they had made the tough decision to postpone in-person learning for students.
Shortly before Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Berea Community School Superintendent Diane Hatchett wrote a message to her district which quoted the late civil rights activist.
Madison County School’s students will be returning to in-person instruction on Jan. 20. The district will remain virtual until Jan. 19.
In less than two weeks, Madison County students may be back in their classrooms. According to a statement from the Madison County School System, the district plans to return to in-person instruction on Jan. 20 for all students. The district said classes will resume on the Orange (Hybrid A/B)…
Dr. Wilma Walker, whose tireless efforts over a number of years led to the only four-year Aviation degree program in the state at Eastern Kentucky University, has been named to the Kentucky Aviation Hall of Fame, according to a press release.
One industry that has faced a significant amount of hardships in 2020 has been the educational system. With COVID-19 and all of the changes it has wrought, local teachers and students have faced a whole new world. However, educational leaders have continued to make strides in virtual learnin…
LEXINGTON (AP) — A Kentucky judge has ruled that a lawsuit seeking refunds for University of Kentucky students who had to vacate campus because of the COVID-19 pandemic could continue, the Lexington Herald-Leader reported.
Since it opened in 2017, Eastern Kentucky University's Scholar House has held a big year-end celebration for the pre-kindergarten students in its Head Start program.
A steady line of cars filed through the parking lot of Berea Community School Thursday evening.
Schools all across Madison County have welcomed their students back onto their campuses in recent weeks — but not for classes.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The Kentucky Department of Education is asking school districts to be flexible as they plan calendars for the next school year.
As part of the celebration of Teacher Appreciation Week (May 4-8), the staff at Model Laboratory wanted to do something special for the families of their students.
BEREA -- Many schools across Madison County have held teachers parades since the COVID-19 outbreak -- where the teachers and staff drive through the neighbors of students.
There are no new cases of the coronavirus for Madison County as of Tuesday afternoon, according to the local health department.
More than anything, local school leaders are most upset about how their schools won't be ending in a traditional fashion following Gov. Andy Beshear's recommendation Monday that schools remain closed for the rest of the academic year.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The University of Kentucky announced plans Tuesday to lay off and furlough some employees in response to a projected $70 million budget shortfall in the coming year caused by the coronavirus.
Morehead State University Theatre students have come together to present its latest production in an unconventional way after the university canceled all public performance by the School of Creative Arts.
In recent weeks, schools across Madison County have been conducting teacher parades, where staff and facility drive around in a festive procession and visit their students in their neighborhoods -- from a safe distance.
Interim President David McFaddin announced the plan to refund 33% of housing costs and 33% of dining plan costs in an email sent to students on March 9.
- Bill has late March deadline for in-person classes to resume
- Board of Ed approves design and development for Clark-Moores Middle School renovation project
- Returning to in-person learning
- 'Enjoy the snow'
- 'Power Outage Days'
- 'The year's not lost': MKA shares experience with using education app
- Berea Independent student's illustrations featured in a published book
- Madison County Schools district students return to in-person learning
- Council calls for action on decline in college enrollment
- Local family resource youth services centers to be honored next week
- 'Without fear': Madison County teachers receive COVID-19 vaccine
- Kentucky House passes pension bill aimed at new teachers
- Education commissioner plans spring listening tour
- Berea Independent staff receive their Moderna vaccines
- Kentucky parents file suit seeking to resume in-person class
- Education groups sound alarm over 19% drop in FAFSA filings for high school seniors
- Madison County School Board approves 2021-22 budget
- With vaccinations close, Madison County Schools plan to return to in-person learning
- Madison County schools prepare to vaccinate teachers, staff
- EKU nursing students prepare to help administer vaccines
- In-person learning postponed for Madison County Schools
- Berea Community Schools to conduct racial equity audit
- Madison County Board of education elects 2021 chair
- Return to in-person learning date set for Madison County Schools
- Madison County announces tentative start date for in-person learning
- Dr. Wilma Walker, creator of EKU aviation program, inducted into Kentucky Aviation Hall of Fame
- No return date set for in-person learning at Madison County Schools
- Looking back: 2020 through the eyes of Madison County's educators
- Judge: Suit seeking University of Kentucky fees can go on
- Madison County schools plan for the New Year
- Season's Greetings: Local elementary schools host holiday events
- Pilot project aims to help at home learners without internet
- EKU announces BookSmart Program, supplies free textbooks to undergrads
- EKU invests in employees with Colonels Care Employee Initiative
- Madison County Schools prepare for vaccines
- Schools confront 'off the rails' numbers of failing grades
- Model Laboratory student gets perfect score on ACT
- In Supreme Court fight, Beshear defends school restrictions
- School superintendents told to plan for vaccine distribution
- Fayette County superintendent dies unexpectedly
- Police records reveal details surrounding gun incident between local commissioner and citizen
- Lineup announced for Richmond Fourth of July celebration
- OPINION: BLAH, BLAH, BLAH
- Berea woman hopes to ease fear through "Detonation Day" idea
- Two men charged with wanton endangerment
- Madison County returns to 'yellow zone' designation
- EKU Athletics mourns the passing of former football coach Joe Blankenship
- Two Richmond men charged with second-degree manslaughter after overdose
- Paradise Cove to open May 29
- Man charged with imprisoning, assaulting woman