FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — A bill allowing felony offenders to tap into scholarship money they earned to pursue post-secondary education degrees cleared the Kentucky House on Wednesday.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The Kentucky House weighed in on the issue of getting children back in class amid the coronavirus pandemic, passing a bill Wednesday requiring schools to reopen in-person instruction by late March.
At the Feb. 23 Madison County Board of Education special called meeting, the board went over renovations to Clark-Moores Middle School.
At the February Madison County Board of Education (MCBOE) meeting, Jennifer Martin, the principal at Madison Kindergarten Academy (MKA), shared what her school is doing to help keep students engaged after the return to in-person learning.
FRANKFORT (AP) — The Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education is urging education leaders to take action to combat declining college enrollment in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.
When children and families face issues such as poverty, family reconstruction, domestic and youth violence, and more, they may not know where to turn.
After receiving her coronavirus vaccine on Thursday, Silver Creek Elementary School Principal Amanda Heaton wrote "Our #BobcatNation has missed our students!" as her reason for getting the vaccine.
FRANKFORT (AP) — The Kentucky House passed a bill Thursday to change retirement benefits for new teachers hired starting next year as Republican lawmakers confronted the politically volatile pension issue.
LOUISVILLE (AP) — A group of Kentucky parents are suing several public school districts, seeking to put an end to online learning and return students to classrooms in-person, nearly one year after the coronavirus pandemic forced schools to pivot to virtual or hybrid models.
FRANKFORT – Education groups in Kentucky are launching an information campaign this month calling on students to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, known as the FAFSA form. Filling out the form is a crucial step to receive need-based aid that you don’t pay back and other fi…
As Madison County Schools staff prepare to receive the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the district are making plans to return to in-person learning.
Madison County schools announced plans this week to vaccinate staff members, as the districts take the next steps to bring thousands of teachers and students back into classrooms.
Eastern Kentucky University nursing students are volunteering to help Madison County and surrounding communities administer COVID-19 vaccines.
In a Facebook post Tuesday morning, Madison County Schools announced they had made the tough decision to postpone in-person learning for students.
Shortly before Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Berea Community School Superintendent Diane Hatchett wrote a message to her district which quoted the late civil rights activist.
Madison County School’s students will be returning to in-person instruction on Jan. 20. The district will remain virtual until Jan. 19.
In less than two weeks, Madison County students may be back in their classrooms. According to a statement from the Madison County School System, the district plans to return to in-person instruction on Jan. 20 for all students. The district said classes will resume on the Orange (Hybrid A/B)…
Dr. Wilma Walker, whose tireless efforts over a number of years led to the only four-year Aviation degree program in the state at Eastern Kentucky University, has been named to the Kentucky Aviation Hall of Fame, according to a press release.
One industry that has faced a significant amount of hardships in 2020 has been the educational system. With COVID-19 and all of the changes it has wrought, local teachers and students have faced a whole new world. However, educational leaders have continued to make strides in virtual learnin…
LEXINGTON (AP) — A Kentucky judge has ruled that a lawsuit seeking refunds for University of Kentucky students who had to vacate campus because of the COVID-19 pandemic could continue, the Lexington Herald-Leader reported.
With all of the knowledge they have gained throughout 2020, Madison County's schools are making plans on how they are going to be teaching their students in 2021.
As snow began to gently fall from the skies in Madison County Thursday evening, cars began to line up outside of White Hall Elementary.
FRANKFORT (AP) — Kentucky Educational Television has partnered with the Kentucky Department of Education to launch a pilot project that aims to give stronger support to at home learners without internet access, officials said.
Eastern Kentucky University President David McFaddin made a new stride for 'the school of opportunity' as EKU became the first university in the commonwealth to deliver an all-inclusive, public school course-delivery material model.
Madison County School Superintendent David Gilliam told Board of Educations members during their scheduled meeting on Tuesday the district has already taken steps to prepare for COVID-19 vaccine distribution.
The first report cards of the school year are arriving with many more Fs than usual in a dismal sign of the struggles students are experiencing with distance learning.
LOUISVILLE (AP) — Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear responded to a request by the U.S. Supreme Court on Friday by defending of his suspension of in-person classes at public and private schools.
FRANKFORT (AP) — Kentucky's governor called on school superintendents Friday to begin planning for the eventual distribution of coronavirus vaccines to their employees.
LOUISVILLE (AP) — A federal appeals panel has upheld Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear's order to stop in-person classes at religious schools during the coronavirus pandemic.
In an announcement made on social media, Madison County Food Service Director, Scott Anderson, said there will be no food pick-up this week in Madison County.
One of EKU's most distinguished military alumni was honored with a memorial bench at EKU's Veterans Memorial, located in the Powell Plaza, on Nov. 7.
On Wednesday, Governor Andy Beshear, amid rising COVID-19 cases in Kentucky, had to make some tough decisions.One of those decisions had to do with the education sector in Kentucky, and therefore Madison County. One aspect of education Beshear spoke of was public universities “pledging” to t…
On Wednesday, due to the rising number of positive COVID-19 cases in Kentucky, Governor Andy Beshear put new restrictions on the state’s education sector.
Madison County Schools will remain on the RED contingency plan (all virtual) for all students until January. The school district made the public aware in a Facebook post shared Thursday afternoon. The district will continue feeding students during the month of December.Madison County Food S…
Since it opened in 2017, Eastern Kentucky University's Scholar House has held a big year-end celebration for the pre-kindergarten students in its Head Start program.
A steady line of cars filed through the parking lot of Berea Community School Thursday evening.
Schools all across Madison County have welcomed their students back onto their campuses in recent weeks — but not for classes.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The Kentucky Department of Education is asking school districts to be flexible as they plan calendars for the next school year.
As part of the celebration of Teacher Appreciation Week (May 4-8), the staff at Model Laboratory wanted to do something special for the families of their students.
BEREA -- Many schools across Madison County have held teachers parades since the COVID-19 outbreak -- where the teachers and staff drive through the neighbors of students.
There are no new cases of the coronavirus for Madison County as of Tuesday afternoon, according to the local health department.
More than anything, local school leaders are most upset about how their schools won't be ending in a traditional fashion following Gov. Andy Beshear's recommendation Monday that schools remain closed for the rest of the academic year.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The University of Kentucky announced plans Tuesday to lay off and furlough some employees in response to a projected $70 million budget shortfall in the coming year caused by the coronavirus.
Morehead State University Theatre students have come together to present its latest production in an unconventional way after the university canceled all public performance by the School of Creative Arts.
In recent weeks, schools across Madison County have been conducting teacher parades, where staff and facility drive around in a festive procession and visit their students in their neighborhoods -- from a safe distance.
Interim President David McFaddin announced the plan to refund 33% of housing costs and 33% of dining plan costs in an email sent to students on March 9.
- EKU nursing students prepare to help administer vaccines
- In-person learning postponed for Madison County Schools
- Berea Community Schools to conduct racial equity audit
- Madison County Board of education elects 2021 chair
- Return to in-person learning date set for Madison County Schools
- Madison County announces tentative start date for in-person learning
- Dr. Wilma Walker, creator of EKU aviation program, inducted into Kentucky Aviation Hall of Fame
- No return date set for in-person learning at Madison County Schools
- Looking back: 2020 through the eyes of Madison County's educators
- Judge: Suit seeking University of Kentucky fees can go on
- Madison County schools plan for the New Year
- Season's Greetings: Local elementary schools host holiday events
- Pilot project aims to help at home learners without internet
- EKU announces BookSmart Program, supplies free textbooks to undergrads
- EKU invests in employees with Colonels Care Employee Initiative
- Madison County Schools prepare for vaccines
- Schools confront 'off the rails' numbers of failing grades
- Model Laboratory student gets perfect score on ACT
- In Supreme Court fight, Beshear defends school restrictions
- School superintendents told to plan for vaccine distribution
- Fayette County superintendent dies unexpectedly
- Federal judges uphold Kentucky governor's virus school order
- Madison County Schools hold special board meeting
- No food pick-up service in Madison County this week
- EDUCATION NOTEBOOK: Memorial Bench Dedicated to Alumnus Newman
- Local colleges face COVID-19 restrictions
- New restrictions on Madison County Schools
- Madison County Schools to remain virtual until 2021
- Record EKU Foundation Scholarship amidst pandemic
- Audit: UK ex-worker bought 84 iPhones on university card
- Madison County schools extend virtual learning
- Progress made in new area tech centers
- Madison County Schools extends virtual learning
- EKU celebrates Veterans Day
- Scholarship programs helps adults finish associate degrees
- Madison County defies state trend of falling ACT scores
- Federal officials investigate university diversity training
- EKU Health Services Administration Program announces online degree
- Education Notebook: Berea Faculty and Staff recognized by Madison County Historical Society
- ELECTION 2020: Madison County Education
- RPD officer disciplined, another resigns after violations
- Woman charged with abuse of a minor after child found with chemical burns
- Woman charged after allegedly giving victim drugs which caused an overdose
- Richmond commission debates conflict of interest for funding
- Former jail contract employee charged with sexual exploitation offenses
- Madison County becomes 'orange zone' for COVID-19
- Woman who gave birth alone in cell secures $200k settlement
- Be Prepared: Boy Scout Troop 2014 camps out in single digit weather
- County introduces pickup for tree debris
- HOLY COW! Local fire departments rescue trapped bovines