Chris T. Hayes' grandfather was a King with a dream.
In a special session on Thursday, the Madison County Public School Board elected its 2022 board chair and vice chair, while also giving updates on several construction projects in the county and a reading recovery report.
In the event Governor Beshear's proposed education budget passes, $90 million would be allotted to EKU to build a new Model Laboratory School facility.
Through a series of weekly programs, the Madison County Public Library hopes to further educate the children of the community from their earliest years through adulthood.
With Kentucky being hit with a winter storm, the schools of Madison County have moved to cancel school or hold non-traditional instruction days on Friday, Jan. 7.
The schools of Madison County rallied together to provide aid to areas which were devastated by tornadoes in Kentucky in December 2021.
Those with gaps in their education can fill them at the Madison County Public Library, as it has been collaborating with Eastern Kentucky University for several years to offer general education development (GED) classes to the community.
BEREA — The Fire King and the Ice Queen, clad in a red cape and shimmering white mantle, led their subjects from opposing kingdoms through disagreements, crime, illness and recovery in an imaginary world created by Berea Community Middle School students.
Thanks to some dogged-determination, a group of students from Clark-Moores Middle School has donated more than 300 items to the Madison County animal shelter.
St. Mark Catholic School sent a press release on some things students and families can do to help the communities affected by the tornadoes which occurred over the weekend.
The Eastern Kentucky University Board of Regents reinstated the men's and women's tennis programs during the Dec. 9 meeting after cutting the teams in April 2018.
On Friday night, Model Laboratory School students presented their first of two performances for their stage adaption of Barbara Lawrence's 1971 novel "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever."
Of the many symbols of the holiday season, few are more striking than the Poinsettia. The Mexican-native flower made its way to the United States in 1828, since then the plant's bright colors and star shape have helped make it a Christmas tradition.
American's do things bigger. That's the main takeaway of the United States had by visiting foreign exchange students Ariadna "Ari" Codinach Gilaberte of Spain, Alexander Ruf of Germany, Niklas Grueter of Switzerland, and Lisa Schmidt-Wahl of Germany.
According to a press release from EKU, Everyone needs a person. Someone who mentors, scolds, encourages, influences, challenges, impacts.
In their Nov. 11 meeting, the Madison County School Board reviewed plans for the 2022-2023 school year.
GEORGETOWN (AP) — The president of Kentucky's Georgetown College has been fired after reports emerged accusing him of sexual assault and sexual misconduct against employees, the small Christian liberal arts school announced Tuesday.
Due to the declining COVID-19 case numbers in the county, the Madison County School System announced on Wednesday the district will no longer require students, staff, and visitors to wear a mask while in school.
BEREA--Berea College President Lyle Roelofs has announced his decision to retire, effective June 30, 2023. Roelofs arrived in Berea with his wife, Laurie, in 2012 to serve as the institution's ninth president. From the very beginning, the Board of Trustees has been consistently impressed and…
Natasha Parsons, an eighth grade science teacher at Garrard Middle School and a 2007 and 2012 EKU alumna, won the M.K. Dickerson Outstanding Educator Award for Excellence in Environmental Education from the Kentucky Association of Environmental Education (KAEE) during its 45th annual convent…
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — A judge ruled Friday that Kentucky’s constitution prohibits a part of a new state law enabling donors to get tax credits for supporting private school tuition.
Dr. Jennifer Fairchild, a professor in the School of Communication at EKU, received two awards at the Kentucky Communication Association (KCA) annual conference in September 2021, according to a press release.
FRANKFORT (AP) — Statewide test results from last spring showed that less than half of the students scored at the proficient or distinguished levels in many Kentucky schools.
The Eastern Kentucky University Board of Regents met for the second time during the 2021-22 academic year and passed a motion to allow the president to approve the acquisition of 300 acres adjacent to Meadowbrook farm on Thursday, Sept. 23.
FRANKFORT (AP) — Kentucky lawmakers voted this year to pump considerably more state money into full-day kindergarten, but the extra spending was limited to just one school year. Now a Republican legislator wants to turn that one-time support into a permanent commitment.
FRANKFORT (AP) — School boards in nearly three-fourths of Kentucky's school districts have extended mask requirements as one district on Wednesday mourned the coronavirus-related death of a teacher.
Kentucky educators can get a $100 bonus for being vaccinated against COVID-19 under a new initiative from the Kentucky Department of Education.
A bill that would end Kentucky's school mask mandate was rescued late Wednesday evening, after it fell short of passage by one vote earlier in the day.
FRANKFORT (AP) — An instructional assistant at an eastern Kentucky elementary school died from COVID-19 as the fast-spreading delta variant has sparked outbreaks in several school districts.
The Madison County Board of Education adopted a resolution to support the Council for Better Education (CBE) in its suit challenging the unconstitutionality of House Bill 563 at the board’s Thursday meeting.
During Thursday’s Madison County Board of Education meeting, the school board gave a statement regarding their disagreement with the mask mandate ordered by Governor Andy Beshear and the Kentucky Board of Education.
Since it opened in 2017, Eastern Kentucky University's Scholar House has held a big year-end celebration for the pre-kindergarten students in its Head Start program.
A steady line of cars filed through the parking lot of Berea Community School Thursday evening.
Schools all across Madison County have welcomed their students back onto their campuses in recent weeks — but not for classes.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The Kentucky Department of Education is asking school districts to be flexible as they plan calendars for the next school year.
As part of the celebration of Teacher Appreciation Week (May 4-8), the staff at Model Laboratory wanted to do something special for the families of their students.
BEREA -- Many schools across Madison County have held teachers parades since the COVID-19 outbreak -- where the teachers and staff drive through the neighbors of students.
There are no new cases of the coronavirus for Madison County as of Tuesday afternoon, according to the local health department.
More than anything, local school leaders are most upset about how their schools won't be ending in a traditional fashion following Gov. Andy Beshear's recommendation Monday that schools remain closed for the rest of the academic year.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The University of Kentucky announced plans Tuesday to lay off and furlough some employees in response to a projected $70 million budget shortfall in the coming year caused by the coronavirus.
Morehead State University Theatre students have come together to present its latest production in an unconventional way after the university canceled all public performance by the School of Creative Arts.
In recent weeks, schools across Madison County have been conducting teacher parades, where staff and facility drive around in a festive procession and visit their students in their neighborhoods -- from a safe distance.
Interim President David McFaddin announced the plan to refund 33% of housing costs and 33% of dining plan costs in an email sent to students on March 9.
- Baptist Health donates shoes in honor of late patient care tech
- Vaccine clinic held at Model
- EKU's Horticulture Club holds annual Poinsettia sale
- Berea College unveils new mascot Blue the Bear
- Foreign exchange students talk Thanksgiving and the American experience
- Education Notebook: Passion for Helping Students Leads to National Recognition for EKU faculty member
- Madison County School Board reviews 2022-2023 calendar, takes first steps towards building new middle school
- Kentucky college president fired after sexual assault report
- County schools to end mask mandate
- Berea College president to retire
- Nominations open for Extra Yard for Teachers program
- EKU Alumna wins Environmental Education Award
- EKU named 'Tree Campus'
- Drivers urged to be alert for deer, other wildlife
- Kentucky judge blocks public tax credits for private schools
- Fairchild wins KCA Awards
- County utilizes Test to Stay program
- Kentucky test scores reveal education challenges amid COVID
- EKU Regents approve purchase for 300 acres
- Campus community explores what Richmond has to offer during City Fest
- Lawmaker seeks permanent funding for full-day kindergarten
- More Kentucky school districts extending mask requirements
- If you're a vaccinated Kentucky school employee, you can get a $100 bonus
- MCBOE lowers 2021-2022 school tax rate by a penny
- Bills concerning masking in schools, NTI days still a forefront of special session
- Schools stress need for more NTI days
- Instructional aide at Kentucky school dies from COVID-19
- MCBOE holds tax hearing, adopts quarantine leave resolutions
- Madison County Board of Education supports CBE against HB 563
- Madison County Board of Education voices their opposition to mask mandate for schools
- MOVING IN: EKU students arrive on campus
- Governor mandates masks must be worn in Kentucky schools, daycares
- Berea Community schools to require masks for students, staff
- Madison County releases Return to School Plan
- Gov. Beshear Announces K-12 School Recommendations in Response to COVID-19 Delta Variant
- Madison County Board of Education approves purchase of land for $1.7 million
- Berea College to increases pay to employees
- EKU talks reopening plans for fall semester
- Two members of Kentucky State University board resign
- Foley Middle School students recognized for their poetry
- School board elects new chair, vice chair
- Funding for new Model facility in proposed budget
- Goble resigns as President of Chamber after 14 years
- Police chief requests ballistics resistant rescue vehicle following another standoff
- Sale of Berea industrial property paves way for more jobs
- Superintendents react to Beshear education budget
- Ferry Authority gives discipline powers to captains
- KYTC "forcing" pre-treating routes ahead of expected winter weather
- Central Kentucky Regional Airport expanding services
- County sees 1,000 positive cases in five days