Things are slowly starting to shift to normal when it comes to education in Madison County as students begin filtering back into local schools through phases.
In the age of COVID-19, schools are finding it hard to balance their need to keep students safe while also addressing the need for social interaction.
As the sole remaining laboratory school in Kentucky, officials at Eastern Kentucky University and Model Laboratory School helped celebrate their "Champions of Education" when they recognized local representatives last week in a ceremony at the school.
In partnership with area high schools in Corbin and Manchester, the locations of its regional campuses, Eastern Kentucky University is offering free, outdoor guest Wi-Fi and indoor, desktop internet to students who can't otherwise access broadband internet.
BEREA — The Child Development Lab (CDL) at Berea College was closed Friday after the school announced three positive COVID-19 test results, including two employees and one child of an employee at the facility.
BATON ROUGE, LA -- Briana Lanham of Berea was recently awarded a Love of Learning Award worth $500 from The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, the nation's oldest and most selective collegiate honor society for all academic disciplines. Lanham is one of 200 recipients to receive the award.
PIKEVILLE (AP) — The Pikeville Independent School District is considering whether prayers can be allowed at graduation ceremonies after receiving a letter of complaint from the Freedom From Religion Foundation, WYMT-TV reported.
Eastern Kentucky University has established a Historic Home Preservation Committee that is studying and evaluating the best uses for several historic properties owned by the University.
Over the summer of his junior year at Madison Central, current senior Noah Halloran said he tried to apply at Chick-Fil-A before resorting to writing a top-10 award-winning novel.
After nearly six months of being out of the classroom, some students in Madison County returned to their schools for the time as in-person learning resumed on Monday.
In an unusual year, Mark Woods, director of Finance and Business for Madison County Public School system was able to construct and get approval for a 2020-2021 working budget.
Sisters Moriah and Macie Hill have filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the Madison County school district, which claims they were repeatedly bullied and harassed over their race, and that school administrators were aware but did nothing to stop it, according to court documents.
LOUISVILLE (AP) — Responding to calls for greater autonomy by school administrators, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear unveiled new coronavirus guidelines Monday for re-opening.
Every year, the Richmond Teen Center holds their annual event, the Back to School Bash, where they donate backpacks full of supplies to kids returning to instruction. Although it was a modified version of the event this year, the center was still able to donate over 300 backpacks.
FRANKFORT (AP) — Kentucky Democrats seized on a social media attack on teachers by the Kentucky Republican Party that they say unmasks persistent GOP hostility toward educators.
FRANKFORT (AP) — Gov. Andy Beshear's administration unveiled a statewide initiative to supply internet access to low-income homes as Kentucky schools open with digital learning because of the coronavirus.
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Jerry Falwell Jr. announced his resignation Tuesday as head of evangelical Liberty University amid conflicting claims about a sexual relationship his wife had with a younger business partner.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — Notre Dame University became the latest college to move classes online due to the coronavirus, after nearly 150 students tested positive.
FRANKFORT (AP) — Gov. Andy Beshear's administration outlined a process Tuesday to publicly report COVID-19 cases affecting schools as the debate continues to swirl about when to resume in-person classes.
The Madison County School System Food Service Program has served more than one million meals to area children since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Officials with the Kentucky Department of Education insisted on Friday that communication they have had with school districts around the state, including Madison County, did not include threats of retaliation if districts didn't delay the opening of in-person instruction.
Once the tough decision to succumb to the governor’s recommendation to push back in-person learning was made, the Madison County Board of Education turned their attention to a handful of other action items Thursday night.
Despite tearful testimony and desperate pleas from students, teachers, and parents, the Madison County Board of Education voted to delay in-person instruction until Sept. 28 per Governor Andy Beshear's recommendation.
As Eastern Kentucky University gears up for the fall 2020 semester, which begins on Monday, Interim President David McFaddin, faculty, and staff have already welcomed 2,000 students to campus in preparation of the “new normal” in higher education learning.
The Educational Talent Search (ETS) program at Eastern Kentucky University recently recognized Isabella “Izzy” Robertson from Madison Southern High School for her participation in the 30th Annual National Student Leadership Congress (NSLC).
The Eastern Kentucky University Presidential Search Committee convened for the first time virtually on Monday and announced the committee will recommend to the Board of Regents that the next president should be Interim President David McFaddin.
Teachers in the commonwealth are being asked to adjust once more as Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear recommended school systems push back their in-person instruction start date to Sept. 28.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (KT) – The union for Kentucky’s teachers said Friday that the state’s public schools should not resume in-person instruction until COVID-19 positivity rates at state and county levels fall and stay below the 4% level.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky's teacher union is calling on school officials to delay the beginning of in-class instruction until the state's COVID-19 positivity rate drops.
A virtual war of words has developed between a former Eastern Kentucky University football player and one of the most powerful administrators at the school.
A senior lecturer at Eastern Kentucky University is one of nine journalism faculty members nationwide to receive an Educator of Color Fellowship from the Investigative Reporters and Editors (IRE).
After making the hard decision to close Berea College to in-person learning back in March — becoming the first college in the state to do so — Berea College President Lyle Roelofs said re-opening plans were just as hard to determine.
FRANKFORT– First Lady Britainy Beshear on Tuesday announced a new program, Coverings for Kids, which helps Kentuckians to donate facial coverings directly to local school districts.
The Berea Independent School District has become the first district in the county to announce plans for a virtual-based school year due to COVID-19 concerns.
Starting next week, from July 27 to July 29, families of students that attend St. Mark’s Catholic School can pick up used uniforms for the next school year, a press release stated.
On a 12-acre piece of land, five minutes from Eastern Kentucky University's campus, Gus LaFontaine is in the midst of creating a new way of learning.
The Fall Contingency Planning Task Force announced that more arrangements have been made to follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines and to keep Eastern Kentucky University students, faculty and staff safe during the COVID-19 pandemic in an email to students on July 7.
The Eastern Kentucky University Board of Regents met virtually on June 30 and approved a $340,551,279 budget for the 2020-21 fiscal year, $17 million less than the previous year's overall operating budget, according to Interim President David McFaddin.
Since it opened in 2017, Eastern Kentucky University's Scholar House has held a big year-end celebration for the pre-kindergarten students in its Head Start program.
A steady line of cars filed through the parking lot of Berea Community School Thursday evening.
Schools all across Madison County have welcomed their students back onto their campuses in recent weeks — but not for classes.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The Kentucky Department of Education is asking school districts to be flexible as they plan calendars for the next school year.
As part of the celebration of Teacher Appreciation Week (May 4-8), the staff at Model Laboratory wanted to do something special for the families of their students.
BEREA -- Many schools across Madison County have held teachers parades since the COVID-19 outbreak -- where the teachers and staff drive through the neighbors of students.
There are no new cases of the coronavirus for Madison County as of Tuesday afternoon, according to the local health department.
More than anything, local school leaders are most upset about how their schools won't be ending in a traditional fashion following Gov. Andy Beshear's recommendation Monday that schools remain closed for the rest of the academic year.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The University of Kentucky announced plans Tuesday to lay off and furlough some employees in response to a projected $70 million budget shortfall in the coming year caused by the coronavirus.
Morehead State University Theatre students have come together to present its latest production in an unconventional way after the university canceled all public performance by the School of Creative Arts.
In recent weeks, schools across Madison County have been conducting teacher parades, where staff and facility drive around in a festive procession and visit their students in their neighborhoods -- from a safe distance.
Interim President David McFaddin announced the plan to refund 33% of housing costs and 33% of dining plan costs in an email sent to students on March 9.
- Berea College professor leads first 'Walk with a Doc' program
- Democrats pounce on GOP tweet slamming teachers' unions
- Beshear offers way to expand internet to low-income students
- Falwell says he's resigned from Liberty University
- 'Baptized by fire'
- Colleges grapple with coronavirus as students return
- Kentucky offers plan to report virus cases affecting schools
- Anderson: Schools need flexibility from USDA to feed children during pandemic
- State Officials Respond to School Board comments
- School board approves nursing positions, emergency leave
- Madison County BOE votes to delay in-person learning
- EKU faculty, students prepare for 'new normal'
- Berea student honored with award
- McFaddin recommended for next EKU president
- Beshear asks schools to postpone in-person learning
- KEA says virus positivity rate too high for in-person classes
- Kentucky teacher union calls for delay of school reopenings
- 'It's our job'
- Landon White, Matt Roan release conflicting statements
- Back to School Bash set for Aug. 14
- Randolph receives national award
- Berea College to welcome 950 students
- First Lady Beshear unveils mask donation campaign for students, educators
- Local teacher to be Math Teacher Leader
- Cartwheeling through school lands award for local teacher
- Berea Independent Schools will begin 2020 school year online
- St. Mark's sets used uniform pickup schedule, yearbooks also available
- Nature-based education center coming to Richmond
- 'Glad to be back': James Ray leads Madison Southern as new head principal
- Madison County Schools push back student start date
- Fall Contingency Task Force announces more changes for upcoming semester
- EKU Board of Regents approves $340.5 million budget for 2020-21
- Mobile, multi-purpose bus introduced to Berea community
- New Berea principal excited to meet families
- Local schools prepare for upcoming school year
- Governor announces school guidelines for 2020-21 school year
- Breaking: Schools cancel graduations
- Dannie Moore to lead strategic initiatives, diversity, equity and inclusion at EKU
- Berea College announces plan for fall semester
- Kentucky offers health guidance to reopen schools
- BREAKING: Glenn Jackson released from MCDC
- 'The change has come:' City of Richmond revises personnel policy
- Welcome to Berea: City welcomes 175 new jobs through Hitachi factory
- Breaking ground in Berea: AppHarvest announces second site in Madison County
- Five new COVID-19 deaths reported
- One last look into my father's eyes
- ELECTION 2020: Kentucky Democrats outpace Republicans in absentee voting
- Madison County joins AppHarvest
- Goforth receives two complaints for misconduct and ethics
- 'Despicable': Local voters respond to Ashley Goforth letter of endorsement