Students at LaFontaine Preparatory School in Richmond are exploring the world of soap box derby car racing.
LEXINGTON -- Two University of Kentucky researchers are working with faculty at the University of Notre Dame and the University of Washington-Bothell to uncover how school voucher programs -- and more broadly, school choice -- impact long-term student outcomes, such as high school graduation…
EKU's Training Resource Center (TRC) was awarded $280,000 through the Kentucky Department for Community Based Services (DCBS) via the Kentucky Opioid Response Effort (KORE), to assist the state in a comprehensive targeted response to the opioid crisis.
While neither Madison Central nor Madison Southern took home the title last weekend at the 2019 Kentucky Music Educators Association State Marching Band Championships, there was still much to celebrate.
Screen time has drastically increased for everyone in recent years, and that includes young people in the United States. According to CNN Health, teens spend an average of more than seven hours per day on screen media for entertainment.
FRANKFORT -- Funding, educator support and pensions top the list of legislative priorities Kentucky's top local school officials will take to the 2020 General Assembly.
Dr. Qaisar Sultana, professor emeritus and former chair of the Department of Special Education in the College of Education at Eastern Kentucky University, has been selected as a Fulbright specialist by the U.S. Department of State, for three years, October 2019 to October 2022.
Promoting music education among young people is a particular passion of music professors at Eastern Kentucky University as well as the Richmond Area Arts Council (RAAC). The RAAC has several programs in which they partner with EKU to bring more music training to people of all ages.
LEXINGTON -- Generations of students passed beneath the shade of pin oak trees on the University of Kentucky campus, rushing to class, strolling with friends or studying beneath their branches on a warm, spring day. But when the new and expanded Gatton Student Center went up, several of the …
While neither Madison Central nor Madison Southern took home the title this weekend at the 2019 Kentucky Music Educators Association State Marching Band Championships, the directors at each school were proud of their performances.
This year in Kentucky, 20,164 low-income children benefited from afterschool suppers on an average weekday in Kentucky in October 2018. This is a 17% increase from the previous year, according to Afterschool Suppers: A Snapshot of Participation, a new report from the Food Research & Acti…
Under the supervision of Ms. Strunk and her Clark Moore Middle School students, elementary students learned how to prepare street pan nachos Friday night to learn food preparation, sanitation and safety. Participants pay $25 to go towards a leadership activity for the middle school students …
This year is proving to be a great one for Madison County band students as both Madison Central and Madison Southern High School marching bands are set to take the field this weekend at the state marching band competition.
Eastern Kentucky University's criminal justice program made history as the first EKU program to be offered completely on-site and out of state. The program, already a popular choice among students at the university's regional campus sites in Manchester and Corbin, as well as numerous Kentuck…
Children in Madison County continue to benefit from the USDA Farm to School Grant Program. This program aims to increase the usage of and access to local, nutritious foods in schools. It can also improve farmers’ relationships with the community and boost their income.
The Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation was created in honor of a fallen firefighter who died on Sept. 11, 2001. This nonprofit organization has worked to create the 9/11 Never Forget Mobile Exhibit as a means of sharing the events of 9/11 with those Americans unable to travel to New …
As part of the Madison Young Professionals October meeting, Richmond Police Lt. Josh Hale addressed the issue of bullying among youth today, placing particular emphasis on the increase in occurrence and complexity of bullying due to social media.
At their annual picnic, officers of Madison Co. Retired Teachers' Assn. presented EKU graduate student Jeff Brock a scholarship toward a masters degree in education.
- Student's research on pesticide contamination creates buzz
- Kids learn reading is cool with Books Barbers and Ballers program
- Let's talk: Student learn about vaping, mental health
- EDUCATION NOTEBOOK: 44 students from Madison County named Sen. Jeff Green Scholars
- EKU alum Lambert has a passion to help those in distress
- PHOTOS: EKU Homecoming Parade 2019
- Getting dads involved: Program encourages father involvement at school
- EKU alum strives for affordable housing
- Report cards are out: How local schools rate
- Budget panel eyes state universities’ funding model
- March to Macy's: Central band hosting fundraiser Thursday
- EDUCATION NOTEBOOK: EKU celebrates Homecoming this weekend
- Art in action: Students 'Walk with the Arts'
- 5-star accountability system to go live Oct. 1
- Model could stand to lose one-third of funding
- Convocation to focus on Berea Craft
- Homecoming parades set for Thursday
- 'Start With Hello' aims to build kids' connections
- EDUCATION NOTEBOOK: EKU SPJ wins program of the year
- Climate strike: Local students partake in global protest
- MKA hosted first-ever 'Touch-a-Truck' event
- Cub Scouts help kids get ready for winter
- A fresh start: EKU president to release new book
- EDUCATION NOTEBOOK: WEKU’s Savage elected to NPR Board of Directors
- Comics and chemistry: Local teacher launching Kickstarter for science comic book
- UK Dining report reflects record commitment levels to farms, businesses
- Career centers progress
- UK CAER, LG&E and KU to develop system to improve power plant efficiency
- Kentucky schools receive bad grade
- EDUCATION NOTEBOOK: Chautauqua Lecture Series celebrates 20th year
- Schools face backlash for not reporting threats to parents
- UofL official faces tough questions on hospital deal
- 'Unbroken': Southern’s marching band delivers message of determination
- Mandatory meal plans for all EKU students begins
- Incentive offered to fill health care needs
- 'Welcome to the Jungle': Madison Central Band prepares for season
- EDUCATION NOTEBOOK: Tech conference coming to Lexington
- Girl Scout fun on the lawn
- Makerspace moves in: New space open to adults, kids to create in Berea
- Bill would require cameras to catch school bus passing violators
- Overdose deaths in Madison County surpass 2018
- Richmond man found guilty in child pornography case
- CRIME REPORT: Man charged with sexual abuse of a minor
- Fiscal Court could repeal tax increase
- CRIME REPORT: Several jailed on methamphetamine charges
- Is food truck ordinance too restrictive?
- Bill would put Kentucky on daylight saving time year-round
- Berea College students travel to D.C.
- Blythe honored with Maffett Award
- KSP to conduct safety checkpoints