hindsight 2020

Although her murder is thought to have taken place in October of 2019, the homicide investigation of Ella Jackson has carried on throughout 2020, making it The Richmond Register’s fourth top story this year.

Ella Jackson was first reported missing in late October 2019, leaving behind her phone, wallet, car and then five-year-old son.

On April 24, 2020, Richmond police arrested her husband, Glenn Jackson, 40, for her murder, as well as tampering with physical evidence.

According to a release from RPD, investigators discovered that Ella Jackson met with a domestic violence advocate a few days before her disappearance. A search warrant was subsequently executed on the residence and vehicles belonging to the couple.

A significant amount of blood was located in the trunk of Glenn Jackson’s vehicle that was later proven to belong to Ella Jackson, the release states.

Additionally, police located several recordings that Ella Jackson secretly made of her and Glenn Jackson’s arguments. Ella Jackson also told several individuals that she was afraid of Glenn Jackson, and if anything ever happened to her, her husband would be responsible.

“It is a reasonable inference that Ella is no longer alive, that she met her death through criminal means at her residence on Oct. 20, 2019, and (Glenn Jackson) intentionally caused the death of his wife,” the arrest citation reads.

Just a week later on April 29, law enforcement with RPD served a search warrant at the Jackson’s property in Wayne County. By coincidence, a night earlier, several residents of Pulaski 

County called and reported finding skeletal remains in a wooded area off South U.S. 27, about 3 miles from the McCreary County line. Pulaski neighbors Wayne County.

Along with the human skeletal remains, investigators with the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office also discovered women’s clothing items. The remains were then transported to the State Medical Examiner’s Office in Frankfort where they were positively identified the body as Ella Jackson’s on May 5.

The next day on May 6, a Madison County judge found probable cause to send Jackson’s case to the grand jury. Because of coronavirus restrictions, the grand jury was unable to meet until July 23, and Jackson was indicted for murder, tampering with physical evidence and abuse of a corpse.

Three months after his indictment and six month incarceration, Glenn Jackson, went before Judge James Ishamel Jr. on Oct. 10 in the hopes of receiving a $100,000 bond reduction.

The judge allowed the bond to be reduced to $150,000 cash with several other conditions tied to a bond agreement that include: no violations of law in any respect, home incarceration with an ankle monitor with access to in-person conferencing with his attorney and doctor’s visits, only sibling visitation at his Westbrook Drive home in Richmond, no drug or alcohol abuse, random drug screenings, no direct or indirect contact with his six-year-old son, and to comply with all family court orders.

Originally, Jackson’s bond was set for $250,000 in cash and his attorney Thomas Lyons, of Lexington, worked to have it reduced to $125,000 and claimed his client was not a flight risk, had no prior criminal history, has extensive ties in the community and was unable to properly prepare a defense while Jackson is incarcerated.

Lyons argued the $125,000 cash bond was still significant and sufficient amount and could guarantee Jackson’s appearance at forthcoming court dates.

“This is a very serious case and we recognize that but there is a presumption of innocence of until proven guilty,” Lyons said in court Thursday.

The attorney stated this case would be a complicated one and already meeting with Glenn Jackson at the Madison County Detention Center was presenting problems of preparing a defense because of COVID-19 restrictions.

“There are literally dozens of items of evidence that need to be reviewed in connection to the case and the local detention center has already made it clear that I can not meet with him to discuss that evidence in-person,” he said. “It is virtually impossible or extremely difficult to prepare a defense while he is in jail. But I do recognize the seriousness of this case.”

On Oct. 23, Glenn Jackson flashed a smile to news cameras and reporters as he was released from the Madison County Detention Center and placed on home incarceration.

He posted a cash bond in the early afternoon that day and was released around 4 p.m. after he completed the set up of his materials for home incarceration. He smiled and had no comment when asked by reporters if there was anything he would like to say. He was picked up by two women who loaded a trash bag full of clothes, letters, and other miscellaneous items of Jackson’s into a black SUV.

Glenn Jackson’s pretrail hearing is scheduled for Feb. 11 at 1:30 p.m.


React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you