Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD.
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
And the people answered and said, God forbid that we should forsake the LORD, to serve other gods; For the LORD our God, he it is that brought us up and our fathers out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage, and which did those great signs in our sight, and preserved us in all the way wherein we went, and among all the people through whom we passed (Joshua 24:14-17)
Upcoming community and church events
• 132nd Church Anniversary, Sept. 15, Peytontown Baptist Church. Their afternoon guest will be Rev. J.k. Cunningham, choir and congregation of Middletown Baptist Church of Berea. Everyone is cordially invited to come out and help us celebrate. Dinner will be served.
• Men and Women's Day, Sept. 15, Richmond Predestinarian Baptist. Rodney Johnson will preach at the 11:30 a.m. service, Elder Vigil Gardner of the Pleasant Green will preach at the evening 3:30 p.m. service.
• Men & Women's Day, Sept. 15, First Baptist Church, Francis Street. Morning 11 a.m. service guest reacher, Licentiate Kennedy Wells, First African Baptist Church, Lexington; 3 p.m. afternoon service guest preacher, Rev. Eugene Turner, Second Independent Baptist Church, Athens, Fayette County. Special music provided by the Davis Sisters. Rev. Robert R. Blythe, Host Pastor.
• Fall Revival, Sept. 18-20, 7 p.m. each evening, Farristown Baptist Church, Berea. The Evangelist will be Rev. Prentice Bruton, Pastor of the Evergreen Baptist Church, located in Lexington. The host pastor is Rev. Ray Reed.
• Friends of the Maple Grove Cemetery meeting, Sept. 19, 6-7:30 p.m., Madison County Public Library, Richmond. Meeting will be in the Sun Room (located on the 2nd floor if you enter from the parking lot). Please plan to attend and bring a friend.
• 136th Church Anniversary, Sept. 22, Farristown Baptist Church. Church will be observing their 136th anniversary during Morning Service. The Guest Anniversary Preacher will be Rev. Alvin Farris of Shelbyville, Kentucky. You are invited to join with us in this celebration. Sister Sandra Price, Anniversary Chairman.
• Tates Creek Fifth Sunday Fellowship Service, Sept. 29, 3:30 p.m., Concord Predestinarian Baptist Church at 286 Charlie Norris Road. Host pastor Elder Anthony Phelps
• Free Lunch Ministry, every Thursday from noon to 3 p.m. at Saint Paul AME Church, 437 Francis St., Richmond.
• Richmond/ Madison County Branch of the NAACP meets the first Thursday of every month at 7 p.m. at the First Baptist Church, 302 Francis St., Richmond.
To all churches and civic organizations: To place your church or civic activity in this column via the U.S. Postal Service, please send all information at least one week in advance. Address is: Church & Community Focus, 715 Bonanza Road, Richmond, KY 40475.
Send email announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All announcements must be received by 6 p.m on Tuesday of the week you wish your announcement to appear.
Until next week, may the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus stay fresh in your minds, and in all your hearts.
Until we meet again, may God bless you.