As my wife and I were scrolling through Facebook a couple of weeks ago, we came across a story that said John Calipari was named the college basketball coach of the decade by Sporting News. We found it interesting because we are both big Kentucky Wildcat fans, and I thought it was well deserved considering all the success he has led the program to over the past 10 years.
But then it got me to thinking about some of the other things that could be considered the best of this past decade. So as we close the book on the 2010s and before we really get settled into the 2020s, I thought it would be fun to explore what the Internet thinks was the best of the past decade in a variety of categories.
BEST MOVIE (according to Rolling Stone)
1. Moonlight (2016); 2. The Social Network (2010); 3. Holy Motors (2012); 4. Boyhood (2014); 5. Get Out (2017)
BEST TV SHOW (according to TV Guide)
1. The Americans (FX); 2. Veep (HBO); 3. The Leftovers (HBO); 4. Justified (FX); 5. Atlanta (FX)
BEST POP SONG (according to the Billboard Hot 100)
1. "Uptown Funk" by Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars; 2. "Party Rock Anthem" by LMFAO feat. Lauren Bennett and GoonRock; 3. "Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran; 4. "Closer" by The Chainsmokers feat. Halsey; 5. "Girls Like You" by Maroon 5 feat. Cardi B
BEST BOOK (according to Good Reads)
1. "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green; 2. "Divergent" by Veronica Roth; 3. "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins; 4. "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn; 5. "The Martian" by Andy Weir
BEST VIDEO GAME (according to Metacritic)
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo Wii); 2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Wii U); 3. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One); 4. Grand Theft Auto V (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One); 5. Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo Switch)
BEST SPORTS TEAM (according to NBC Sports)
1. Los Angeles Lakers; 2. New England Patriots; 3. UConn Huskies (women's basketball); 4. Boston Red Sox; 5. New York Yankees
POPULAR BOY NAMES (according to ssa.gov)
1. Noah; 2. Liam; 3. Jacob; 4. Mason; 5. William
POPULAR GIRL NAMES (according to ssa.gov)
1. Emma; 2. Sophia; 3. Olivia; 4. Isabella; 5. Ava
Those are just some of the categories I thought would be fun to look up and share. You all might have other interests I didn't mention that you might like to reflect on from the past 10 years.
We might also look back at our own lives and the personal events that happened or changes that might have taken place.
The younger crowd might have reached different milestones in school whether it be the first day of kindergarten or a high school graduation. If you're around my age, you might have seen yourself settle down somewhere and start a new career or get married. You might have also even reached the age of retirement when you were able to leave the daily grind and spend more time with children and grandchildren.
We also can't help but wonder what the next 10 years will bring. What will be the popular movies and TV shows? What will happen to us?
You might be one of the few who looks at the future with optimism.
"This decade will be when I get that big raise and when I get to buy that new house."
But many of us fall in the trap of worrying about what could go wrong. Will I get into college? Will I lose my job? What will happen to my loved ones? Will my health decline? Will I be able to pay all my bills?
It's easy to fall into that trap but we can put our minds at ease because in Joshua 1:9, God says, "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."
Years later, the Lord Jesus made a similar promise when in Matthew 28:20, he said, "...I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
Whatever happens in this coming year and over the next 10 years won't be left to chance. God is in charge, and he promises to stay close. It's because of this we can look ahead to the next decade with hope and without worry.
You might still have a lot of questions but you can rest assured that God will be with you every step of the way.