• Gospel singing featuring the Praise Singers, 6 p.m., Lighthouse Baptist Church, 1391 Gabbardtown Road, Berea.
• Christmas banquet, 6:30 p.m., Calvary Apostolic Church, 1382 Paint Lick Road, Berea.
• Christmas cantata, 9 a.m., First United Methodist Church Multi-ministry Center; mixture of choir and congregational singing accompanied by instrumentalists.
• Grace Chapel Wesleyan Church on Aspen Ave. will have a pot luck dinner after the 10:45 a.m. service. Please bring a dish and join us in food and fellowship.
• Second annual Community Holiday Music Festival, 3 p.m., EKU Center for the Arts. All singers, including groups and soloists, and instrumentalists invited to participate. To be part of the program, call the Rev. Howard Miller, 859-302-2899. Admission free.
• Candlelight service followed by potluck Christmas dinner, 5:30 p.m., Corinth Christian Church, Bogie Mill Road.
• Seminar on dealing with grief and working through depression, 6-7:30 p.m., Big Hill Christian Church, 1150 Goggins Lane, Richmond. Mary Ellen Broaddus, RN, BSN, MSN, will speak. Free event is offered as an outreach of Big Hill Christian Church to those in need during the Christmas Season and beyond.
• Service of Solace and Hope, 7 p.m., Episcopal Church of Our Saviour, 2323 Lexington Road, Richmond. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Christmas Cantata, 7, p.m. Calvary Apostolic Church, 1382 Paint Lick Road, Berea.
• Carol wining, 7:30 p.m., Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Madison County, 1081 Willis Branch Road, Richmond. Caroling, singing, special music, wine, fellowship and fun.
• Christmas Play, 6 p.m., Bethlehem Baptist Church, 2101 Dreyfus Road, Waco. For more details, call 986-1711.
• Christmas Eve service, 4:30 p.m., White Oak Pond Christian Church, Barnes Mill Road at Goggins Lane, Richmond.
• Christmas Eve candlelight service, 5 p.m. and 11 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 401 W. Main St., Richmond.
• Christmas Eve service/pageant, 5:30 p.m., First Christian Church, 412 W. Main St., Richmond.
• Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, 7 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, 330 W. Main St., Richmond.
KFTC pie auction Friday at Union Church
The Berea chapter of Kentuckians For The Commonwealth is hosting its fourth annual fundraising pie auction from 7 to 10 p.m. Friday at Union Church, 200 Prospect St.
The live auction of homemade pies will start at 8 p.m. Two ceramic pie plates made and donated by Turning Wheel Pottery will be featured in the auction, said Beth Bissmeyer of KFTC. The Down Home Divas will perform live old-time music and tell stories.
Paula Deen coming for St. Mark benefit tea
Paula Deen, the cook, author and entrepreneur known for her southern-style food, will make a personal appearance in Lexington on Memorial Day, May 26, hosted by Richmond’s St. Mark Catholic Parish.
Deen will be the special guest for tea and conversation at the Carrick House, 312 N. Limestone St., in downtown Lexington.
“The tea will begin at the ‘proper’ time – half past 2 – and guests will enjoy a lovely afternoon featuring traditional foods, such as scones, small cakes, cookies and finger sandwiches,” said Father James Sichko, pastor of St. Mark Parish. “I think everyone will enjoy the conversation, too!”
An aMAZEing afternoon of exploration
“I’m getting too old for this,” one father exclaimed as his little one tugged his hand toward the entrance of the maze for another go.
Clad in knee pads and headlamps, a band of young explorers and a few brave adults, made their way through a network of dark tunnels. They passed through a black-light room and finally a triangular overhead bridge before they descended into a belly crawl to come out near where they began.
Annual St. Paul AME tea Sunday
Most people think of a “tea” as an idle get-together to chat and socialize.
Jesus is our brother
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God.
Chocolate strawberry sales to help fund trip
Fusion Student Ministries at Eastside Community Church, 2010 Catalpa Loop, is selling homemade chocolate-covered strawberries just in time for Valentine’s Day to fund its July trip to the Prince of Peace Home for Girls in San Cristobal, Guatemala.
A church member, known for her candy-making, will be dipping the strawberries herself, said Carla Perry, who is heading up the fundraiser.
Radio Maria US to carry ‘Among Friends’
“Among Friends,” a program by Father James Sichko of St. Mark Parish in Richmond, will become part of the regular schedule of Radio Maria US beginning 2 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 8.
“Father Jim will share real lived experiences and connect them to the gospel to help listeners find Jesus and His lessons in all aspects of life,” an announcement from Radio Maria states.
Rejoice in God’s loving kindness this year
Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.
My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness, and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips: When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.
Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
— Psalms 63:3-7
Madison brass to present music of Holst, others at Episcopal Church
The Second Sunday concert 2 p.m. Jan. 12 at the Episcopal Church of Our Saviour will feature the Madison Brass performing some all-time favorite melodies arranged for brass.
The concert will include some of the ensemble’s favorite melodies, said Patrick Tuck, the group’s founder and director.
“Gustav Holst’s “Second Suite in F,” one of the selections, is an inspired arrangement of some of the most familiar melodies in European art music,” Tuck said.
First Presbyterian Church to serve Christmas Eve dinner
Children may go to sleep Christmas Eve with visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads, but for some people in Madison County, sugar plums and family gatherings may be only a fantasy.
However, First Presbyterian Church in Richmond will host a Christmas Eve dinner to which they are invited.
- More Religion Headlines
- KFTC pie auction Friday at Union Church