A Berea man has been charged with fleeing from a traffic stop and assaulting a officer after police responded to a reckless driving complaint.
Bart Housholder, 47, was charged Saturday with third-degree assault, first-degree fleeing and evading police, resisting arrest, driving under the influence of alcohol (first offense) and possession of an open alcohol container in a motor vehicle.
Berea police received a complaint about a reckless driver heading south on Interstate 75, according to a BPD news release. An officer found the vehicle on KY 595 and activated his emergency equipment, but the driver continued to Brooklyn Boulevard, the release stated
After officers made contact with the driver, who was Housholder, they reported noticing a strong smell of alcohol.
Housholder got out of his vehicle but refused to come back to the officers, according to the release. When the officers tried to escort Housholder back to a cruiser, he began fighting with them and struck an officer in the face, the release stated.
Two charged with various drug offenses at skate park
A man and woman received various drug charges Sunday after police investigated an intoxicated man at the Berea Skate Park.
The officers noticed a man walking around a vehicle who appeared unsteady on his feet and had slurred speech, according to a BPD news release.
The man gave police consent to search the vehicle, and several items of drug paraphernalia were found inside.
A female passenger, Gwenivere Hart, 32, of Berea, was seen attempting to hide something with her hand, according to the release.
When she got out of the vehicle, police reported finding a loaded syringe near the seat, and Hart told police it was oxycontin, the release stated.
Hart was charged with first-degree possession of a controlled substance. The man was charged with public intoxication and possession of drug paraphernalia, which are both misdemeanors.
From Nov. 8 to Sunday, Berea police reported charging one person with driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (first offense), one person with theft by unlawful taking (shoplifting) and one person with second-degree possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana.
• Several tools, worth $865, were reported stolen Saturday from a home that was under construction in the 1000 block of Phyllis Drive.
• A person in the 200 block of Melody Lane reported Saturday that a motorcycle, worth $5,000, had been stolen during the night.
• A resident in the 100 block of Bob O Link Drive reported Nov. 7 that a vehicle’s stereo had been stolen from a parked vehicle, and the vehicle was damaged. The estimated loss was $3,100.
• A resident in the 60 block of Lena Street reported Nov. 7 that a trailer hitch, worth $150, had been stolen from his vehicle.
• A person told police Nov. 5 that several items were taken from inside a home including copper wire, hand tools and a generator. The estimated loss was $900.
Anyone with information about these cases is asked to call the Berea Police Department at 986-8456.
Sarah Hogsed can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org