MADISON COUNTY —
The Eastern Kentucky University women’s tennis team stunned the Louisville Cardinals Thursday afternoon in the Greg Adams Tennis Center by a count of 4-2.
Four of the six singles matches went to a deciding third set.
“I’m so proud on how our players continue to believe in themselves after getting beat so easily in doubles,” EKU head coach Rob Oertel said. “It was a great effort from all six of our singles players today. Hopefully, this is one of many quality wins this year.”
After dropping the doubles point, Eastern rebounded to win No. 2, No. 4 and No. 5 singles in three sets.
Sophomore Amandine Faouzi got the Colonels on the board with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Julia Fellerhoff at No. 1 singles.
Fellow sophomore Kristina Labeja (No. 2) then rallied to pull out a three-set win over Rebecca Shine.
Both Fellerhoff and Shine had been ranked among the top 85 players nationally earlier this season.
Sophomore Melissa Gerritsen gave Eastern Kentucky its third team point by dominating the second and third sets in the No. 4 singles.
Finally, junior Milena Poffo clinched the team victory with a 1-6, 6-2, 6-3 triumph at the No. 5 spot.
Eastern Kentucky is back in action on Saturday, Feb. 23 at Georgia State.
Eastern Kentucky 4, Louisville 2
1. Amandine Faouzi (EKU) def. Julia Fellerhoff (UL) 6-4, 6-4
2. Kristina Labeja (EKU) def. Rebecca Shine (UL) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
3. Mandy Brown (UL) def. Saioa Oscoz (EKU) 6-1, 7-6
4. Melissa Gerritsen (EKU) def. Stefanie Villajuan (UL) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Milena Poffo (EKU) def. Alex Tachovsky (UL) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Carmen Rodriguez (EKU) led Rebecca Bodine (UL) 6-4, 3-6, 4-3 DNF
1. Fellerhoff/Shine (UL) def. Gerritsen/Oscoz (EKU) 8-1
2. Brown/Villajuan (UL) def. Labeja/Poffo (EKU) 8-2
3. Faouzi/Jimenez (EKU) vs. Bodine/Tachovsky (UL) 5-5
Match Notes: Eastern Kentucky (5-2); Louisville (7-2)
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2); Singles (3, 1, 2, 4, 5*)