• Berea community Thanksgiving service, 7 p.m., Berea United Methodist Church. The Rev. Rachel Small Stokes, associate pastor of Union Church will speak.
• EKU Orchestra concert, 8 p.m., EKU Center for the Arts.
• Home Meals Delivery board meeting, noon, EKU Baptist Campus Ministry on University Drive.
• Fibro Coffee Chat, 11 a.m., Hasting’s in Richmond Centre. For details, call Sandy, 859-228-0163.
• Richmond community Thanksgiving service, noon, White Oak Pond Church, Barnes Mill Road at Goggins Lane (behind Meijer). Lunch served at 12:30 p.m.
• Paint Lick Community Arts Center 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
• One-time-workshop. Instructor: Joseph Cross, Berea College theatre and music major. Joseph will teach students the art of paper folding, Origami. Two ready-to-hang Christmas tree ornaments will be made — a crane and a dove. Materials are provided. The fee is $10. Call the center at 859-925-2741, to enroll.
• Kirksville community Thanksgiving service, 6:30 p.m., Kirksville Community Center. Area churches will join for the potluck of appetizers and desserts, festive singing, and fellowship. The 100th anniversary of Kirksville High School will be commemorated.
• Thanksgiving dinner, noon, Rosedale Baptist Church, 411 Westover Ave., Richmond. Call 623-1771 for details about rides to Rosedale or for meal delivery for those age 60 and older.
• Thursday free-lunch ministry of St. Paul AME Church, 437 Francis St., Richmond, will serve Thanksgiving dinner from noon to 2:30 p.m.
• Contra Dance with caller Frank Buschelmann and band Berea Cast-Offs 8-11 p.m. (Beginner lesson 7:30-8 p.m.)
• Russell Acton Folk Center, 212 Jefferson St., Berea, KY. $7.00 adults; $4.00 students and seniors. Call 985-5501 or visit http://www.folkcircle.org /contra/ or BereaContra Dance@gmail.com for details.
• Hot Women and Health: Information for pre-menopausal women and beyond. Healthy Skin is Beautiful Skin, 11:45 a.m., Madison County Cooperative Extension Center. Lunch will be provided to everyone who registers by November 21, call 623-4072 to register.
• EKU Faculty Brass Quintet, 8 p.m., Gifford Theatre of the Campbell Building.
• Michael Bolton concert, 8 p.m., EKU Center for the Arts. For tickets, visit www.ekucenter.com or call 622-7469.
• Medicare 2013 Part C (health) and Part D (drug) plan comparisons and enrollment at Richmond Senior Citizens Center, 1215 W. Main St., 2 to 4 p.m. Individuals should bring a printed list of their medications, including dosage.
• Richmond Human Rights Commission, 6 p.m., City Hall, 239 W. Main St.
• EKU Trombone Ensemble concert, 6 p.m., Gifford Theatre of the Campbell Building.
• Madison Winds concert, 8 p.m., Gifford Theatre of the EKU Campbell Building.
- Local News
Prior 'bad acts' to be allowed in Marcum murder trial
A Madison Circuit judge ruled Friday that prior “bad acts” of murder defendant Christina Marcum may be admitted during her upcoming trial.
Eastern students practice fire fighting in burning building
Thick barrels of smoke rolled out of the room as nearby observers could feel the fire’s heat on their faces. Furniture and drywall fueled the blaze. Flames licked the top of the door frame and the flat ceiling.
Airport planning mock disaster drill
Madison Airport officials and Eastern Kentucky University are making plans for a mock disaster drill tentatively scheduled for August.
Feds deny giving OK to selenium standards
When lawmakers wrestled last year with new standards for releasing selenium into streams by coal mines and industry, they were assured by state officials the proposals were based on sound science and approved by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials.
Pets of the Week from the Madison County Animal Shelter
The Madison County Animal Shelter is located at 1386 Richmond Road in Berea. Shelter hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Animals available for adoption can be seen from noon to close Monday through Saturday.
AAUW authors brunch, silent auction March 15
The American Association of University Women, Berea, will present its annual Authors Brunch and Silent Auction at Boone Tavern 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. March 15.
Three Kentucky authors will be presenting their works, including Frank X Walker, Mike Norris and Jason Howard. Activities will take place in the Tavern’s Coyle Gathering and Skylight Rooms.
KSP recognizes last surviving member of first cadet class
As a member of Kentucky State Police Cadet Class No. 1 in 1948, Chester Potter was a ground-floor witness to the birth and growth of an organization that would transform law enforcement in Kentucky.
Recently, the 83-year-old Pikeville resident, who retired in 1975 as a lieutenant after 27 years on the force, recalled those early “trailblazing” days.
County’s oldest consignment sale begins today
The Little Ones’ Consignment Sale, Madison County’s oldest semi-annual sale of its kind, is open to the public 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. today (Friday) and 8 a.m. to noon Saturday at the multi-ministry center behind United Methodist Church, West Main Street, Richmond. Marked items are half price on Saturday.
Man indicted in January police chase
A Madison grand jury has indicted a Richmond man in connection with a vehicle chase that resulted in the lockdown of two schools in early January.
Heroin found in card sent to jail
An investigation began Wednesday afternoon at the Madison County Detention Center when a jail employee found heroin in a piece of mail destined for a prisoner.
- More Local News Headlines
- Prior 'bad acts' to be allowed in Marcum murder trial