Register staff report
The Richmond/Madison County Recycling Center will conduct its first free electronics recycling event 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
The center is at 550 Recycle Drive off Boggs Lane behind the Madison County Ford dealership.
City employees will help unload all sorts of electronic devices such as old televisions and computers.
The center will be accepting:
• Computers, keyboards and mice
• CRTs and monitors
• Modems and telephone boards
• Hard drives, floppy drives and CD-ROMs
• Phones, fax machines and telecommunication hardware
• Computer boards, CPUs, memory chips, circuit boards, connecting wires and cables
The center also will be accepting useable clothing and shoes, which are distributed to people in need around the world, said Serena Wilson of the recycling center.
Kentucky Recycling of Richmond will break down the electronic equipment, recycling certain parts and properly disposing of others, she said.
The event will take place rain or shine, Wilson said, and will be moved into the center warehouse in case of inclement weather.
“If this collection becomes a success, we will try to make this a yearly event,” she said.