The Richmond Register

May 20, 2013

Dry cleaner burglary suspect is charged in two other cases

Register Staff Report

RICHMOND — A man charged Friday with breaking into Jack’s Cleaners on Water Street by smashing a window with a tire iron has been charged with two other burglaries in which a similar method was used to gain entry.

Scott Hobbs, 42, of McKee, is facing two additional counts of third-degree burglary involving break-ins earlier Friday at Personal Touch Cleaners on Wayne Drive and Doggie Livin’ on  St. George Street.

About 25 minutes prior to the break-in at Jack’s, a Richmond police officer discovered that Doggie Livin’ had been entered via a broken glass door. While the interior of pet-grooming business had been disturbed, nothing was found to be missing, according to the police report.

The officer then discovered a broken glass door at Personal Touch Cleaners. There two cash drawers, containing an unspecified amount of money, were missing.

The cash drawers were in found in Hobbs’ vehicle, according to the police report.

Hobbs remained in the Madison County Detention Center under a $25,000 bond Monday evening, according to a jail officer.

Two charged in theft of television

Jason Osborne, 33, of Wellington Court, and Pernell Evans, 48, of Bellevue Drive, were arrested in connection with an unlawful entry and forceful removal of a television Friday from an apartment on Hampton Way.

According to a Richmond police news release, Osborne and Evans gained entry by forcing open the residence’s back door. Once inside, the two removed a 50-inch television. Osborne was reported to have been armed with a tire iron, and he allegedly punched a resident several times in the face with his fist.

Officers who responded to investigate a burglary in progress said they observed Osborne and Evans fleeing the scene and detained them.

A search of their vehicle produced several syringes, burnt aluminum foil, spoons with white powder residue and a bag of what police suspect to be heroin, according to the release. Osborne also is alleged to have discarded a small bag of suspected methamphetamine after he was detained.

Osborne is charged with first-degree robbery, two counts of first-degree possession of a controlled substance, tampering with physical evidence, possession of drug paraphernalia and resisting arrest.

Evans is charged with first-degree robbery, and he was served a summons on a third-degree terroristic threatening in an unrelated incident.

Both were lodged in the detention center where they remained Monday evening, according to online jail records.

Second man arrested in connection to Madison Manor theft

William Simmons, 28, of Frankie Drive was arrested Friday by Louisville police on a Madison County warrant charging him with involvement in a late April burglary at Madison Manor.

On April 29, Madison Manor employee reported a black Sentry safe containing approximately $600 cash and several blank checks had been stolen over the previous weekend. The safe was found without the cash or checks inside it on May 1, and investigators learned that four of the checks had been forged and cashed in at separate businesses in Richmond for a total of $966.52.

Robert King, 47, a former Madison Manor employee, was arrested May 14 in connection with the crime, according to the police report.

 Simmons remained in Louisville police custody Monday pending transport back to Madison County.

Fight outside tobacco shop leads to assault charge

Gregory Beeler, 48, of Elm Street, was arrested Sunday and charged with second-degree assault for allegedly attacking a female in March, according to Richmond police

On March 12, officers were dispatched to Discount Tobacco on East Main Street in response to a report of a fight outside the business.

Upon arrival, the officers encountered the victim, who reported that Beeler had repeatedly punched her in the face and choked her. The victim suffered a concussion and facial fractures that required the installation of metal plates to repair, the police report stated.

Beeler was taken into custody at his residence without incident, and lodged in the detention center, where he remained Monday evening, according to online jail records.