Register staff report
Sunday, May 5
• Legendary rock band ZZ TOP, 7 p.m., EKU Center for the Arts. For tickets, call 622-7469 or visit www.ekucenter.com.
Monday, May 6
• No newspaper today. The Richmond Register will no longer be publishing a Monday edition.
• Mother's Day Craft & Paws to Read, 3:30 p.m., Madison County Public Library, 507 W. Main St., Richmond. Make Mom a keepsake keychain, then have fun reading to our trained reading dogs, Morgan, Lily, Sneetches and Scrum.
• Richmond/Madison County AARP, 10:30 a.m., Betty Miller Center, 325 N. Estill Ave., Richmond. American Legion/VFW will present a program about Memorial Day. Potluck meal will follow.
• Berea Human Rights Commission, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., community room of City Hall, 212 Chestnut St.
Tuesday, May 7
• Richmond Parks and Recreation Board, noon, Recreation Center, 321 N. Second St.
• Berea City Council, 6:30 p.m., Police and Municipal Building auditorium, 304 Chestnut St.
• Paint Lick Book Club 7 p.m., Friends of Paint Lick Building. May book is “Even Now” by Karen Kingsbury, a Christian fiction novel about teen pregnancy. Copies may be picked up at Friends of Paint Lick. For details, call Laura McWilliams, Garrard County Public Library, 859-792-3424.
• NAMI, 6:30 p.m., board room of St. Joseph Berea hospital.
Wednesday, May 8
• Madison County Retired Teachers Association, 11:30 a.m., Fountain Park First Church of God, 5000 Secretariat Drive (off Jacks Creek Road). Meal provided at no cost. Speaker is Debbie Murrell, KRTA membership specialist.
• “Global Warming: A Climate “Wake Up’ Story” with Connie Barlow and Rev. Michael Dowd, noon, Union Church, Berea. For details, call Joan at 986-3725.
Thursday, May 9
• Joint meeting of Madison County, Richmond and Berea governing bodies, 11:30 a.m., County Extension Center, Duncannon Lane.
• Madison County School Board, 6 p.m., MCHS Douglas House Lecture Hall.
Saturday, May 11
• EKU spring commencement, 9 a.m. for College of Health Sciences and College of Justice & Safety; 1:30 p.m. for College of Arts and Sciences; 7:30 p.m. for College of Business & Technology and College of Education. First Lady Michelle Obama will speak at the 7:30 p.m. ceremony, tickets are required. A live telecast of her speech will be presented at the EKU Centre for the Arts. All commencements are at the Alumni Coliseum.
• Gourd art demonstration by Sally Cammack, 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Kentucky Artisan Center at Berea.
• Letter Carrier Food Drive. Place non-perishable items by mailbox to be picked up on Saturday only.
• Youth Services Center Advisory Council for Madison Middle and Madison Central, 3:30 p.m., Phillips Building Center, 704 N. Second St., Richmond.