By Crystal Wylie
Register News Writer
The Special Olympics Madison County chapter, now in its 11th year, has nearly 60 participants.
The chapter will be wrapping up its bowling competitions in December and will begin its basketball season Nov. 4, said coordinator Eden Fisher of the Richmond Parks and Recreation Department.
Track and field and flag football will begin in the spring with softball in the summer, she said.
The program is for participants 8 and older, but the Young Athletes program is offered in the spring for children ages 2 to 7.
Participating in Special Olympics affects athletes “holistically ― every aspect of their live are impacted in a positive way,” Fisher said. “It gives them something to look forward to and a chance to interact with other people their age.”
She said parents and caregivers “do everything they can” to raise funds for the program and they appreciate the opportunity to get together and support one another.
Important dates for Madison County Special Olympics
• Oct. 24 ― Halloween Dance, 6-8 p.m., Richmond Parks and Recreation basement, 321 North Second St. Bring a food item and drink to the potluck.
• Oct. 26-27 ― Regional bowling tournament at Eastland Bowling Lanes in Lexington
• Dec. 6-8 ― State bowling tournament at King Pin Lanes and Fern Valley Strike and Spare in Louisville
• Nov. 1 ― Chili fundraiser, 6-9 p.m., Shannon Johnson Elementary. Event will feature live and silent auctions, chili and live music. Admission is $6 for ages 12 and up, $4 for ages 4-11 and free for ages 0-3. All proceeds will pay for participants’ registration fees, uniforms and sports equipment.
• Nov. 4 ― Basketball tryouts/organizational meeting from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Shannon Johnson Elementary.
• Nov. 23 ― Eastern Kentucky University Color Run 5K, 8 a.m. registration, 9:45 Zumba dance party, 10:30 a.m. running/walking, 11 a.m. after-party. EKU intramural fields. Registration is $19 for college students and $29 for general public. Proceeds benefit Special Olympics of Kentucky.
For details, contact Madison County Special Olympics coordinator Eden Fisher at 623-8753 or email@example.com.