A vote to upgrade the title of Erin Moore, long-time assistant director of the Richmond Parks and Recreation Department, was postponed Tuesday after two commissioners expressed dissatisfaction with a proposed title.
City Manager Jimmy Howard had prepared an order naming Moore director of recreation administration. But commissioners Robert Blythe and Laura King asked why she was not given the title of her predecessor, Kevin Gorman, who retired last fall.
Howard said the title had been suggested by Moore, and Mayor Jim Barnes said it reflected a reorganization of the department. The title change did not reflect a pay increase, the city manager said.
Maintenance of the parks had been separated from recreation management and put into a new Department of Buildings and Grounds, which among other duties, is responsible for all mowing on city properties, Barnes said.
Blythe and King, along with Commissioner Jim Newby, had asked that Moore’s title be upgraded, said they still though she should have the same title as Gorman, director of parks and recreation, if she is responsible for what takes place in the park system. Both also said they wanted to speak with Moore about the issue.
The order was then tabled until the April 9 meeting.
In other action, the commission:
• Passed second reading of an ordinance extending to 20 days the time owners of unregistered fire and burglar alarms have to register after a system-generated false alarm. King said she still wanted the commission to reconsider the amount of the highest fines for multiple false alarms in a year.
• Heard first reading of an ordinance making business/technical training operations a conditional use in the B-4 (Planned Shopping Center District) zone
• Heard first reading of an ordinance rezoning 6.33 acres belonging to Abundant Life Ministries on Irvine Road from R-1C (Single Family Residential Small Lots) to B-1 (Neighborhood Business).
• Heard first reading of an ordinance rezoning 4.91 acres owned by ATA Development, John Devere Builder and Bill Wright on Four Mile Road from B-3 (Highway Business) to R-2 (Two Family Residential)
• Hired Jason Scott Friend as a police officer at $16.41 an hour contingent on completion of training
• Hired Thomas R. Filin and Anthony Ray Jones as seasonal employees at $8 an hour in the Public Works Department
• Hired Patrick Brown as a desktop support technician at $19.23
Bill Robinson can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-6690.