Sunday, April 21
• Friends of the Library annual book sale bag day, 1-5 p.m., Richmond Mall. All books that fit in shopping bag go for $1.
Monday, April 22
• Madison County Chapter of Kentuckians for the Commonwealth, 7 p.m., Loyal Jones Appalachian Center, Berea College.
Tuesday, April 23
• Alcohol Referendum Information Session, 7 p.m., Baird Lounge at Berea College. The group Economic Progress for Berea is conducting a petition drive for a local referendum on alcohol sales in the city.
Wednesday, April 24
• EKU memorial service, 4 p.m., Meditation Chapel. Will honor current and retired faculty and staff and students who have died since April 2012.
• EKU Symphonic Band and University Singers spring concert, 8 p.m., EKU Center for the Arts. Admission is free.
• “Vanities,” by EKU Theatre, 8 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday; Gifford Theatre of the Campbell Building. (Not recommended for younger audiences.)
Thursday, April 25
• GOP Ladies Club, 12:30 p.m., Central Bank community room, 305 W. Main St., Richmond. For details, call Tabitha Evans, 985-9942.
• Richmond schools’ Youth Service Center advisory board, B. Michael Caudill Middle, 3:30 p.m.
• Madison County School Board work session, 6 p.m., Central Office, South Keeneland Drive.
• National Association of Music Parents meeting, 6 to 6:45 p.m., EKU Center for the Arts Black Box Theater.
• “In the Key of G” concert fundraiser for a generator at McCready Manor, 7 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, 330 W. Main St., Richmond. Performance by Beth, Gene and Jonathan Kleppinger. Performance is free, but donations are appreciated.
• 10th anniversary Hands Flour Spring Dance Weekend, Russel Acton Folk Center, 212 Jefferson St., Berea. For registration form and details, go to www.hands4-berea.com or call 986-7584.
• National Puppetry Day celebration in Berea. For details, visit www.puppetsandsuch.com
• Madison County Airport open house, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Ribbon cutting, noon; free barbecue served noon to 2 p.m. Follow signs from either Exit 77 or 83 from Interstate 75.
• EKU Chamber Singers, Concert Choir and University Singers join Alumni Reunion Choir in concert, 3 p.m., Brock Auditorium.
• “The Affordable Care Act: What It Means to You,” 6 p.m., Madison County Extension Center, 230 Duncannon Lane. For details, call 623-4072.
• Treble Clef Youth Chorus concert, 7 p.m., Richmond Area Arts Center, 399 W. Water St. Admission $5.
Sunday, April 21
- Local News
The Spotlight Acting School presents ‘The Best Christmas Pageant Ever’
Performances are Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m. in the Madison Middle School auditorium. Tickets are $5.
KSP “Crams the Cruiser” for families in need
The Richmond post of the Kentucky State Police will be collecting nonperishable food items Saturday during the agency’s fifth annual “Cram the Cruiser” event outside Kroger Marketplace.
First lady promotes ‘Give a Gift Made in Kentucky’ Month
Before browsing shelves of locally handmade merchandise Thursday at the Kentucky Artisan Center in Berea, first lady Jane Beshear read Gov. Steve Beshear’s proclamation designating December as “Give a Gift Made in Kentucky Month.”
Madison County Health Department, MEPCO showing solid financial footing
The Madison County Health Department and MEPCO, its home health agency, are in the black about a third of the way into the fiscal year, according to Health Director Nancy Crewe.
State to enact new regulations on disabled placards
Beginning Jan.1, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet will be enforcing new guidelines for people obtaining disabled placards for their vehicles.
Local jobless rate up in October
Madison County was one of 96 Kentucky counties in which unemployment rose in October compared to a year earlier.
Three Richmond men charged in armed robbery
Richmond police arrested three men Tuesday in connection with a robbery that occurred Monday evening at a Villa Drive residence.
Richmond parade postponed to Dec. 13
Richmond has postponed its Christmas parade scheduled for Friday until the following Friday, Dec. 13.
Berea Arena Theater presents: 'A Christmas Carol'
Performances are Thursday through Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets are $5. For reservations, call 986-9039.
Local police officers honored for impaired driving enforcement
Several Madison County police officers were honored Tuesday for their efforts to target impaired drivers.
- More Local News Headlines
- The Spotlight Acting School presents ‘The Best Christmas Pageant Ever’