Sunday, April 21
• Friends of the Library annual book sale bag day, 1-5 p.m., Richmond Mall. All books that fit in shopping bag go for $1.
Monday, April 22
• Madison County Chapter of Kentuckians for the Commonwealth, 7 p.m., Loyal Jones Appalachian Center, Berea College.
Tuesday, April 23
• Alcohol Referendum Information Session, 7 p.m., Baird Lounge at Berea College. The group Economic Progress for Berea is conducting a petition drive for a local referendum on alcohol sales in the city.
Wednesday, April 24
• EKU memorial service, 4 p.m., Meditation Chapel. Will honor current and retired faculty and staff and students who have died since April 2012.
• EKU Symphonic Band and University Singers spring concert, 8 p.m., EKU Center for the Arts. Admission is free.
• “Vanities,” by EKU Theatre, 8 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday; Gifford Theatre of the Campbell Building. (Not recommended for younger audiences.)
Thursday, April 25
• GOP Ladies Club, 12:30 p.m., Central Bank community room, 305 W. Main St., Richmond. For details, call Tabitha Evans, 985-9942.
• Richmond schools’ Youth Service Center advisory board, B. Michael Caudill Middle, 3:30 p.m.
• Madison County School Board work session, 6 p.m., Central Office, South Keeneland Drive.
• National Association of Music Parents meeting, 6 to 6:45 p.m., EKU Center for the Arts Black Box Theater.
• “In the Key of G” concert fundraiser for a generator at McCready Manor, 7 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, 330 W. Main St., Richmond. Performance by Beth, Gene and Jonathan Kleppinger. Performance is free, but donations are appreciated.
• 10th anniversary Hands Flour Spring Dance Weekend, Russel Acton Folk Center, 212 Jefferson St., Berea. For registration form and details, go to www.hands4-berea.com or call 986-7584.
• National Puppetry Day celebration in Berea. For details, visit www.puppetsandsuch.com
• Madison County Airport open house, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Ribbon cutting, noon; free barbecue served noon to 2 p.m. Follow signs from either Exit 77 or 83 from Interstate 75.
• EKU Chamber Singers, Concert Choir and University Singers join Alumni Reunion Choir in concert, 3 p.m., Brock Auditorium.
• “The Affordable Care Act: What It Means to You,” 6 p.m., Madison County Extension Center, 230 Duncannon Lane. For details, call 623-4072.
• Treble Clef Youth Chorus concert, 7 p.m., Richmond Area Arts Center, 399 W. Water St. Admission $5.
Sunday, April 21
- Local News
Man charged with assaulting BPD officers
A Berea man was charged Tuesday with felony assault after spitting blood at police officers, according to a Berea Police Department report.
Troy R. Collins, 24, also was charged with third-degree terroristic threatening, disorderly conduct and alcohol intoxication in a public place.
Democratic House leaders release budget
Democratic House leaders unveiled their 2014-2016 state budget Tuesday amid complaints from Republicans that it was hatched in the dark and lawmakers were asked to vote on it without sufficient time to study it.
The two-year, $20.3 billion dollar spending plan looks a lot like that proposed by Gov. Steve Beshear, but it makes some changes including spending a bit less on school textbooks and preschool and adds about $1 billion in debt.
RAAC Celtic Festival is Friday
Irish music, dancing and food will be featured as the Richmond Area Arts Council celebrates Kentucky’s Celtic heritage Friday evening.
The event is from 6 to 8 p.m. at RAAC, 399 W. Water St.
Fundraising concert for international tour Sunday
The Berea College Concert Choir will travel on a 15-day concert tour to Spain and Portugal from May 7 to May 21.
Music faculty members Dr. Stephen Bolster, conductor; Lindsay Clavere, pianist; Dr. Javier Clavere, organist; and math professor Sandra Bolster, chaperone; will lead choir members on a trip to several Spanish and Portuguese cities, including Barcelona, Valencia, Cordoba, Granada, Seville, Faro and Lisbon.
St. Baldrick’s and St. Patrick’s
You may walk into the Paddy Wagon Irish Pub this weekend with an empty stomach and a full head of hair.
Police: Heroin found in home
A Detroit man and two Richmond residents were charged Friday morning after Richmond bike patrol officers and narcotics detectives executed a search warrant on a Dee Dee Drive home.
Unveiling set for today
FRANKFORT — Monday is typically a light day in the General Assembly – few committee meetings and a late starting time to allow lawmakers to travel back to Frankfort.
Kentucky State Police accepting applications for next cadet class
The Kentucky State Police are now accepting applications for its 92nd cadet class scheduled to begin Aug. 3.
KSP to give MSO breath-testing equipment
The Madison Sheriff’s department will soon receive equipment to help them enforce drinking laws, according to a news release from the Kentucky State Police.
Secretary Grimes encourages Kentuckians to serve as precinct election officers
Secretary of State and Chief Election Officer Alison Lundergan Grimes encourages residents to take an active role in the May 20 primary election by serving as precinct election officers, or poll workers.
- More Local News Headlines
- Man charged with assaulting BPD officers