The Richmond Register

April 17, 2013

Couple narrowly escapes burning home

Fire

By Bill Robinson
Register Editor

MADISON COUNTY — A well-known Madison County couple narrowly escaped from an early Wednesday fire that destroyed their Jacks Creek Road home.

Darrell and Wanda Wells awoke to the smell of smoke shortly after midnight, according to Capt. Rodney Dixon of the Madison County Fire Department.

The couple told firefighters they were already groggy from smoke inhalation and could feel the heat of flames that had spread to the frame house’s attic, Dixon said.

“The fire was fixing to take a bad turn,” when the Welles escaped, he said.

The fire department received the call at 12:12 a.m. and the first units arrived at 12:23, Dixon said.

When firefighters arrived the left side of the home was in flames that had engulfed the attic, the captain said. Once fire gets into an attic, it is difficult to control, and it was not brought under control until about 7 a.m.

Both of the county’s fire stations responded to the call, sending two engines and two tankers along with two command vehicles.

The White Hall and Waco volunteer fire departments and numerous volunteer firefighters also responded. The volunteer companies dispatched five units.

The fire left only the home's exterior walls standing.

Darrell Wells has served on both the Madison County school board and fiscal court.

His record of attending the Kentucky Boys Sweet 16 Basketball Tournament for 63 consecutive years was the subject of a Richmond Register feature story in mid-March.