The Richmond Register

Local News

July 16, 2014

Grand jury to review case of suspected cocaine in man’s sock

RICHMOND — A Cincinnati man who claimed that suspected cocaine police found in his sock was planted there will have the evidence reviewed by a Madison County grand jury.

Richmond police officer Paul Lay served an arrest warrant July 1 on Paul A. Ford, 32, and a search of the defendant produced a small envelope of white crystals, Lay said Wednesday in Madison District Court.

The crystals field-tested positive for cocaine, Lay testified during a preliminary hearing. Ford denied knowledge of the cocaine and said that it was planted in the sock which didn’t belong to him, according to Lay’s testimony.

Ford was very cooperative after he learned a warrant existed for his arrest, Lay said, and police did not search the suspect’s apartment.

Judge Charles Hardin found probable cause for a grand jury to hear the case and accepted a defense request to lower Ford’s bond to $500 and allow him to be on monitored release.

Ford was released from the Madison County Detention Center later in the day, according to the jail’s online records.

Hardin reduced a charge of theft by unlawful taking ($500 to $10,000) to attempted theft after hearing testimony in the case of Christopher Durham, 31, of Berea.

He was arrested June 19 after an incident at an Hitachi factory in Berea.

Berea Police officer Cody Shepard said witnesses told him they observed a suspect, later identified as Durham, drive onto Hitachi property and begin loading copper into the bed of his truck.

As the vehicle began to pull away, a witness stopped Durham and asked him what he was doing with the metal, Shepard testified.

The suspect told the witness he wanted to get an early start to his work day. However, the witness doubted the statement and said he couldn’t authorize him to take the material.

The suspect then put the copper back where he found it and drove away. The witness gave a description of the suspect and vehicle to police, who then located Durham.

Durham denied the accusation and agreed to be photographed, Shepard testified. The witness then identified Durham from the photo.

Hardin said the evidence sounded more like attempted theft and reduced the charge to which Durham then pleaded guilty.

Text Only
Local News