The Richmond Register

October 17, 2013

Suspect in gas station shooting charged with attempted murder

Ballew was wanted in connection with a previous incident involving a weapon

Register Staff Report

RICHMOND — The man suspected of firing a gun Wednesday at a person in the parking lot of the Redi Mart on Irvine Road has been charged with attempted murder.

Stewart Ballew, 21, of East Main Street, also was charged with four counts of first-degree wanton endangerment and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon after police found him a short time later in Estill County.

Richmond police responded to reports of shots fired about 3 p.m. at the gas station at 2032 Irvine Road, according to an RPD news release. When they got to the scene, officers met with a man who said he was standing outside his vehicle in the lot when another vehicle drove by and a passenger, later identified as Ballew, fired several rounds at him.

The shooter missed the man, but two bullets struck his windshield, and he suffered a minor injury from flying glass, the report stated.

The suspect’s vehicle then fled the scene and was later found near the White House Clinic in Estill County by Kentucky State Police officers. The KSP detained Ballew and returned him to Richmond, where he was lodged in the Madison County Detention Center.

No bond has been set for Ballew because he has an outstanding fugitive warrant from Ohio, according to a jail official. He was unable to provide information about the charges Ballew faces in Ohio.

The RPD report said officers also recovered a firearm that is believed to have been used in the shooting.

According to the report, the shooting may have been the result of an ongoing dispute between Ballew and the victim.

Ballew already had several warrants for arrest in connection with a previous incident involving a weapon.

On July 10, 2012, police responded to a report of shots fired in the 1100 block of East Main Street. Upon arrival, the officers met with two men who reported that Ballew had approached them with a handgun and threatened them. One of the men fled upon seeing the gun, and Ballew held the weapon on the second man before pointing it into the air and firing one shot.

Ballew then fled the scene in a vehicle driven by a relative, the report stated. As a result of that incident, a warrant was issued July 24, 2012, charging him with first-degree wanton endangerment and possession of a handgun by a convicted felon.

On Aug. 2, RPD bike patrol officers spotted Ballew sitting on the front porch of his residence on East Main Street. The officers approached Ballew to apprehend him, but he fled through the residence and escaped out the back.

Another warrant was issued against Ballew on charges of second-degree fleeing and evading police, the report said.

On Aug. 4, a patrol officer investigating suspicious activity in the 200 block of North Second Street encountered an occupied vehicle parked in a driveway. A passenger in the vehicle, later identified as Ballew, provided a false identity to the officer by using the name of a relative.

While the officer was attempting to gain additional information on Ballew from another officer, he exited the vehicle and fled on foot, escaping the police after a foot chase. As a result, a third warrant was issued charging him with second-degree fleeing or evading police and theft of identity of another, the report stated.

All of these warrants, as well as a Garrard County warrant for contempt of court, were served on Ballew at the detention center where he remained Thursday afternoon, according to the jail’s online records.