By Ronica Shannon
Senior News Writer
Madison County couples can take advantage of free marriage and finance management classes beginning as early as Wednesday. These classes are provided by the Kentucky River Foothills Development Council.
“Financial & Relationship Peace: Foundational Skills” classes will meet for six weeks and are a part of the Foothills’ Healthy Marriage and Relationship Project.
“Classes are open to all married couples, engaged couples and single men and women who want to learn more about money, credit, budgeting and relationship skills,” said Karen Bailey, spokesperson for Kentucky River Foothills.
All training materials will be provided at no cost to participants.
“Classes are taught by qualified instructors in a one-on-one setting and/or in a group setting,” Bailey said. Classes include videos, workbooks and group discussions.
The two main components of the classes include Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace and PREP’s Within Our Reach Relationship Strategies.
“Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace will cover savings, relating with money, budgeting, collections, consumer awareness and dangers of debt,” Bailey said. “Within Our Reach will cover keys to good communication, commitment, dealing with stress, the importance of fun and handling money together.”
Call Robert Lair at 624-2046, Ext. 350, or email at rlair@ foothillscap.org to sign up or for more information.
The following is a list of class venues, dates and times:
• First United Methodist Church – Two classes scheduled at the church. One will meet Wednesdays, Jan. 9-Feb. 20 from 6:15 to 7:45 p.m., and another on Wednesdays, Feb. 27-April 10 at the same time of day. The church is at 401 W. Main St. in Richmond, and classes will be in the Multi-Ministry Building. A free meal will be served at 5:15 p.m. before each class. Also, free childcare is available for children 12 months and older.
• Madison Hills Christian Church – Sundays Jan. 13-Feb. 17 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the church, 960 Red House Road in Richmond.
• Berea Library – Mondays, Jan. 14 -Feb. 25 (No class on Martin Luther King Jr. Day) from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Madison County Public Library, 319 Chestnut St., in Berea (Library Theater).
• Richmond Library – Tuesdays, Jan. 15-Feb. 19 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Madison County Public Library, 507 W. Main St. in Richmond (Small Conference Room).
• Eastside Community Church – Wednesdays, Jan. 23-Feb. 27 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the church, 2010 Catalpa Loop in Richmond (Room 121).
• Madison County Cooperative Extension Service – Tuesdays, Feb. 12-March 26 at 230 Duncannon Lane, Richmond. There are two time options for this class: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. or 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.