The Richmond Register

April 22, 2013

Blaze caused by fire pit damages home in Berea

By Sarah Hogsed
Register News Writer

BEREA — A blaze that originated from a fire pit caused significant damage to a Berea home Monday morning.

Berea firefighters responded to a call from Kenway Avenue at 1:05 a.m., according to Chief Roy Curtis.

“The homeowner noticed a fire on the back deck and used a small extinguisher on it, but was not successful,” Curtis said.

When firefighters arrived, the deck and the back of the house were engulfed in flames. The fire had spread to the attics on the first and second floors, Curtis said.

It took about 30 minutes to extinguish the main part of the fire, and the department remained on the scene for “mop up” work until about 5 a.m.

The fire caused significant damage to the single-residence home, with about half of the structure damaged by fire and the rest by smoke, Curtis said.

A Berea firefighter suffered a minor injury when he fell down the stairs inside the house. He was treated at the scene by EMS and taken to St. Joseph Berea hospital for follow-up care, according to the fire chief.

The firefighter was able to return to work near the end of his shift, Curtis said, adding that the injury was a bruised knee.

Curtis said the fire was caused by a fire pit that was on the home’s wooden back deck. It was placed too close to “combustibles,” he said.

The fire chief noted that fire pits have become more popular during the last few years, and he urged people to follow the manufacturers’ instructions for safe use.

“My recommendation would be to use them in the yard, in a cleared area, or on a concrete pad,” Curtis said.

Sarah Hogsed can be reached at shogsed@richmondregister.com or 624-6694.