In the cold, dark days of a January winter, what could be more comforting than a big, hot bowl of chicken soup?
According to a quick Google search, National Poultry Day is March 19, National Fried Chicken Day is July 6, and the entire month of September is dedicated to chicken, but January, as it turns out (and not surprisingly) is National Soup month.
In the spirit of the “Berea Bubble,” we’re going to add our own category: Farm Store Chicken Week!
If you've been to the store, you already know that we sell our Animal Welfare Approved chickens as whole birds, either plain or smoked, but folks don’t always want to go through the trouble of using an entire bird.
This week, we’re doing the work for you. Throughout the week, we will be parting up some of our smoked birds so you can choose to purchase your favorite cuts, pre-shredded chicken for sandwiches, soups or fajitas. You also can pick up some ready-to-eat chicken salad for your lunch or dinner this week.
In other farm news, here a few upcoming dates to put on your calendar. More details will be provided as we get closer to these events:
• March 6-8: Fourth annual Organic Association of Kentucky Conference (oak-ky.org)
• March 15: Goat butchering demonstration
• March 29: Sustainable Berea’s Local Food Expo
• April 5: Tree-grafting workshop with John Strang of KSU
• April 12: Berea College Farm annual Pig Roast/Plant Sale/Field Day
Until next time, eat well!