In other business:
• Newly elected board member Mary Renfro was sworn in
• Board chair Mona Isaacs was re-elected, and Becky Coyle was elected as vice-chair, replacing John Lackey.
• Arno Norwell retired as principal of Foley Middle School. Assistant principal Mark Wall was selected by the school’s site-based council to take his place.
• A district-wide accreditation will take place Feb. 10-14 with AdvanceED, “the world’s largest education community serving more than 30,000 public and private schools and districts across the United States and in more than 70 countries that educate over 16 million students,” according to its website.
• A mid-year calculation shows the district grew from 11,022 to 11,070 students, a difference of 48. The numbers include Model Laboratory schools. The only Madison County school at or above capacity is White Hall Elementary with 731 students.
Crystal Wylie can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or
623-1669, Ext. 6696.