RICHMOND — The trial for two men accused of murdering a Richmond couple in 2010 will not happen this summer.
Daniel Keene, 28, and Matthew Denholm, 29, appeared in court Monday morning for a status hearing before Madison Circuit Judge Jean C. Logue.
Logue said the summer trial date was “too optimistic” for the amount of evidence in the case that needed to be reviewed. She then set a pretrial conference date for 1 p.m. July 2.
Both defense attorneys and Commonwealth’s Attorney David Smith agreed to the change.
Keene and Denholm are charged in the June 2010 shooting and stabbing deaths of Sonsaray Warford and Charles Walker.
Keene told police in March 2012 that he and Keene had been hired to kill Walker because he allegedly stole money from a local cocaine trafficker. Warford, Walker’s girlfriend, was at home when the two men abducted them from a Keystone Drive apartment, according to court documents and testimony.
The couple was missing for nearly two years before Keene led police to their bodes buried in a field off Tates Creek Road, according to court documents.
Another man, Lebruce Ellington, 34, is charged with complicity in the double-homicide. He is accused of being the go-between for the drug ring’s leader, Jakolbe Chenault, and Keene and Denholm. He also allegedly gave the men the gun used in the killings.
Chenault has not been charged in connection with the murders, but he is serving a 30-year sentence in federal prison for drug trafficking and money laundering.