The Richmond Register

September 28, 2013

Third man charged in burglary, assault incident

Register Staff Report

RICHMOND — Robert C. King, 27, of Ballard Drive, was charged Friday with first-degree burglary and fourth-degree assault in connection with an incident that occurred Sept. 12, according to a Richmond Police Department news release.

King is the third individual to be charged in connection with the crime.

At 11:47 p.m. Sept. 12, officers responded to reports of a disturbance at a residence in the 500 block of Ballard Drive.

Upon arrival, police encountered a 64-year-old male who told them he had responded to a knock at the front door and encountered five men armed with sticks. The men forced their way into the home, knocking the elderly resident to the floor, and then began assaulting another resident, the release stated.

A third resident came to the defense of the man being assaulted, and after a short time the intruders left the residence and fled in an awaiting vehicle.

The release stated the older male was uninjured, but the two younger residents received minor injuries.

On Sept. 18 officers arrested William J. Combs, 21, of Ballard Drive, and Sammy J. Ratliff, 21, of Daisy Road, Berea, on similar charges without incident.

King was lodged in the Madison County Detention Center, where he remained Friday afternoon, according to the jail’s online records.

Woman charged with probation violation

Police charged Dezara L. Miller, 24, of Sizemore Drive, Thursday on the strength of a probation violation warrant.

According to the release, Miller was charged in June of 2012 with second-degree trafficking in a controlled substance and sentenced to five years in prison. Her sentence was later suspended, and she was put on probation for five years.

In August, a bench warrant was issued for her arrest on charges of probation violation, her third violation since her sentencing, the police report stated.

Miller was located at a residence on South Keeneland Drive and lodged in the detention center, where she remained Friday afternoon, according to the jail’s online records.